Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Months ago, my 40 (38?) gallon aquarium got cloudy - very cloudy like I've never seen before. I don't know if this was a mistake or not but I bought a product that was suppose to clear it. Shortly after I added that, algae grew like (you guessed it) I've never seen before. I tried leaving the LEDs off for days. I tried salt. I tried water changes but I couldn't beat the algae. The water looked like pea soup. Finally, some combination beat the algae and the water cleared. I was just sitting and looking at fish that I haven't seen for months. It appears the algae did not bother them. I could find every fish I can remember having when it went green.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thats amazing! You must have very hardy fish! :) Usually you will lose a few fish that can't withstand algae. If you don't have any fish that will clean the tank thats how much algae it will collect. When I was 7 or 8 years old I had a five gallon tank with just a betta fish in it. It was a tank that had cycled for 3 and a half months, (I really wanted the perfect tank) it didn't have any live plants but it was a pretty stable tank otherwise. Just a week or two after adding the new betta fish in the entire tanks glass was COVERED in algae. you couldn't see anything inside at all. I was devastated, I had done everything perfectly. My mother looked into the tank from the top and could still see the betta fish was perfectly fine. So we removed the fish into a plastic container temporarily and bought 5 ghost shrimp and the last mystery snail at the store. Whiten 2-4 days the tank was spotless, not a trace of algae anywhere. After that we added the betta fish in and they all lived happily together.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did remember that this bunch was in there.

molly 4.jpg

Everytime I get near the aquarium, that water churns in a feeding frenzy. I don't think Mollys can bite but I'm not sticking my finger in there to find out. lol Would you believe they were all from the same female and the same birth. Not only that but my daughter took a bunch and I have some in other aquariums. I mentioned this before at this forum. It must be some kind of record.

Btw, I hope I didn't mess up inserting images. If I have ever done that here, it was a long time ago,

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’m sorry, but the statement is not correct. Algae in water column will not harm any fish, shrimps or snails. As far as I can tell from the photo, you may have a bacterial bloom which indicates uncycled tank, a tank that is trying to cycle. What are your parameters for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is definitely an algae out break! Bacteria floats in the water but this ALGAE appears to be on the glass! Its is algae if its on the glass! I am growing tired of your incorrect information MoreThanAFish. From your other post it looks like you only have ONE betta fish you got recently!

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is definitely an algae out break! Bacteria floats in the water but this ALGAE appears to be on the glass! Its is algae if its on the glass! I am growing tired of your incorrect information MoreThanAFish. From your other post it looks like you only have ONE betta fish you got recently!
Got him over a month ago. Get your brain right guy and stop being rude as this is frowned upon. This not algae outbreak but bacterial bloom caused by not uncycled tank or overstocked tank. OP, size and how many mollies? Seems a lot ;)
Oh and algae outbreak water would be green not cloudy LOL
I got my betta over a month ago. Why do you keep throwing this into your hissy fits?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi! Sorry if what I said was offensive! But I've seen bad algae outbreaks before and this seems like one to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts