Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some water wisteria in my aquarium and the leaves toward the back of the plants are turning brown on the edges so i plucked them off. How do you care for this plant? How much light should it get...i have a plant light in the hood. My ph is about 7. Should i fertilize? I am using Flourish Excel-Organic Carbon but it dosn't seem to be making a difference. I have 3 tiny Tigar Barbs and 1 Blue Dwarf Guarami in my 20 gal tank.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so dumb!!! I thought the leaves were dying because the plant was turning kinda brownish. I started pulling off the "dead" leaves and the brownish stuff started rubbing off!!! I'm guessing that it's just algae. I'm i right? If I am, how do I get it off my plants?????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so my plants have been doing great, but this week they started losing leaves!!!!!!!! LOTS OF LEAVES!!!!!!!! They just break off and i have to fish them out! What would make my wisteria do this??? I have good water!!

temp 78
nitrates 10ppm
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
ph 7
20 gal tank
3 tiger barbs are the only inhabitants right now

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bulb is a Flora-Glo 15 watt. I just bought what the man at the store told me I needed.

You can add nitrates?????? Having live plants is new to me and they looked so beautiful till about 3 weeks ago and now they look gross. The leaves turn kinda clearish or stay green b4 coming off!! Also they used to stand up and almost reach the top of the water but now they droop over...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I can definitely upgrade the light!!! Do I just need a new bulb to fit my hood or will I really need a new hood too? It'll be a couple weeks b4 I can get one...the hood I have now you just pop in the bulb.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately I can't afford much right now...I'm a nursing student with no job at the moment...BUT I have a shop I get my stuff at and they give me really good deals because I'v spent SO much money there in the past.
If I know what I need to get I'm sure I can find it there.

It's a tube and goes from one end of the tank to the other!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
awesome, thats great! thanks. I wasnt able to do anything about the lighting today, but i did get some fertilizers and stuff. I got some tablets (PLANTABBS) that contain total nitrogen, ammoniacal nitrogen, nitrate nitrogen, phosphoric acid, and soluble potash. Then some liquid (Leaf Zone) that contains potassium sulfate and Iron EDTA. Did I get the right stuff?? I went ahead and added the Leaf Zone but held off on the tabs till I checked them out (they smell strongly of ammonia) to make sure they were safe for my fish!

I'm still working on the light part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
well, I guess I'll give it a try...It says you can put them in whole or crushed up. It says 1 tab for every 5 gallons of water every 10 days. That seems a lot to me. I'm going to only use half the amount it says seeing I only have 3 bunches of wisteria. Could you recommend another plant that is easy to care for to add in?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.