Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
675 Posts
sence nobody else wanted to respond i will
that all depends what do you want to keep?
do you want corals?-If so you will need special lighing($70)
If you only want some fish and a few shrimps than its cheap.
the live rock in a 10 gallon would be 70 bucks if purchased off liveaquaria(thats were i would get it)
The salt would be cheap($40 worth would last you a long time)
No you do not need a certain filter
Oh i see it looks like you stated that you wanted coral. for the pricing on coral you can make it however much you want it to be.

· Registered
675 Posts
I agree with mike that in a 10 gallon you should not expect much out of fish but you should focus more on coral and inverts. now this dosent meen you cant have cool pets in there. in a ten gallon you could keep a couple shrimp. Here are some shrimp that you could keep that are beutiful looking-fire shrimp-pistol shrimp-cleaner shrimp-sexy shrimp- peperment shimp.In my opinion these shrimp are better looking than a lot of fish. Plus i have seen them in a store and they are quite active.

· Registered
675 Posts
Nick sure you may be able to keep low light coral in your tank but i think if he relly wants to have a serious reef tank he should get some serious lighting.
And by the way connord182 Im only 13(14 in two weeks!) and im setting up a 15 gallon reef. i plan on spending a few hundred wonce the tank is fully stocked. I just purchased a light that set me back $107
No in a 10 gallon you dont need ''perfect water conditions'' cause you probly wont be keeping sensitive coral(some of the sensitive coral i dont think are that good looking anyway)
if you want someone here to give you accurate pricing for a ten gallon you need to tell us what you already have.(a tank,a canapy,a powerfilter,ect)I think a 10 gallon nano reef is defenetly in the budjet of a 15 year old(keep in mind christmas is a month away :brow:
If you are unfimiliar with these terms than google them so you can better comunicate with the people here
live rock
live sand
actanic lighting
biofiltration
salinity
hydrometer
and some other stuff i cant think of rite now

· Registered
675 Posts
Oh ya i almost forgot if you relly dont want to spend alot of money you could keep a mantis shrimp. They are the most agresve marine carnivors i know of. For a mantis tank you can use regulare flourecent bulbs or even incendecent,a powerfilter, sand, and some live rock. You can feed them live crabs or frozen food and watch them ripp them apart. They have these arms that they smack there prey with at a super speed that the force exerted has been compared to a 22 rifle. They have even been known to break aquairum glass!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=12604&siteid=20

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.