Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scheme for a new layout in a 50-gallon tank that will involve rocks (or what look like rocks) mounting almost to the surface (1.5 feet high). I don't want to use "regular" rocks because of their weight. Can you suggest an alternative and where to get them?

Lane

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
"regular" rocks are going to be between 2 and 3 times the density of water... sand is in in the same area already. I expect that the bottom of the tank is spec'd to handle a lot more than the load of water so as long as you put a layer of dense foam under the rocks to avoid pressure points you really shouldn't have to worry about the weight... unless you are really filling a large horizontal space as well.

As for lighter rock, something manmade. Lattice rock might be lighter as it is extremely porous but probably isn't the look you are going for.

Jeff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for giving me some things to think about, Jeff. I don't know what lattice rock is, and Google didn't help me.

What I've seen called lava rock is pretty porous, but I haven't really searched on the web for yet, yet.

I see the Hagen company on Amazon has some good-looking fake rocks, but they're kind of expensive.

Lane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts