Tropical Fish Keeping banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Update 8/14/13

So I think the one problem I always encounter is that I have a ton of animals in my house (two dogs, two cats, two cockatiels and two fish tanks) and that results in a lot of dander. This time of year is especially bad, the animals are all shedding. This results in a small GHA spike, and the need to constantly blow off the rocks with the powerheads. I am going to build a canopy for this tank to keep the dander out...

Pictures!

My favorite fish in the tank, the Tiger Goby being sociable:
fish1.jpg

A friend of mine was breaking down his tank and I adopted his lone clown:
fish2.jpg

and Neon Dottyback:
fish3.jpg

The Dottyback and the Tiger Goby posing:
fish4.jpg

A better pic of the Dottyback (he is a quick one. This is like the 60th picture I took...):
fish5.jpg

Another shot at the Dottyback:
fish6.jpg

I am going to get a few more snails and crabs this weekend to hopefully trim down the GHA problem while I am building my canopy. I might also pick up another piece of Live Rock, because I cannot for the life of me produce any coraline algae. My calcium and Alkalinity are perfect right now (400 ppm and 9 dKH. respectively), maybe it's the light? I am looking to go back to T5HO's, maybe a 4-bulb fixture. I am not really digging this LED light I own...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Your fish selection is awesome.Asides from the clown you have some not too common tank mates.I can dig it.I hear you on trying to snap a pic of psedocromis,its so hard.Sometimes the coraline wont really start chugging along until you have a decent starter colony. I like to get a small piece just coated in purple algae and smash it up,then place it around the tank to seed it faster.Also some times there are things making it difficult for the calcerous algaes to get a foot hold such as nuisance algaes. If you don't have s decent local pet store,and you want I can send you a nice piece of rock for free.I also have tons of macro algaes wich can help compete against the undesirable algae for excess nutrients.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
AHHHHHH! WAAAAAKKEE!! They're just so PRETTY!
Looking over your shoulder at the salty side is like staring at another planet to me. . .
I was already half-mad for freshish gobies, lol. This little guy has me swooning, and your Dottyback! ^_^ Of course, Gio IS right! Gotta have a nemofish, still.

Hope you get everything worked out with the GHA spikes, animal dander (know that problem well!), and the canopy built. Excited to see your fix this time. Think it's so neat that you just. . . BUILD things like that! Come visit one day, I need a tank stand!

OOH! And please? It's *almost* The Weekend! If you DO get crabs this weekend *giggle* and snails, please don't forget to show! <3

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
UPDATE!!? Please??!
Didn't this tank just get moved into yet another tank?
. . . or have I gotten myself confused ?
How's it going in there! I NEED to know!
*misses Wake's pretty tank*

·
Registered
317 Posts
The essentials have arrived!

The Base Rock: 40 lbs
View attachment 63137

The Live Sand: 40 lbs
View attachment 63139

And powerhead, heater and stick-on thermometer (I still have a digital coralife I plan on using)
View attachment 63138

Now just four more hours til I leave work... Then my son and I can set it up! He keeps looking at his freshwater tank saying, "Nemo?" He's a funny little two year-old. Loves his fish!
My 2 year old cause our black false perc "emo" which i feel is very fitting lol

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Here is a pic I took a couple of weeks ago. I tried uploading a pic last night on the mobile app, but it didn't work:

photo.jpg

I have a bicolor Psuedochromis in there right now (you can't see him in this pic) and I had two Bangaii Cardinals. The cardinals must have been wild-caught, because I could not get them to eat and they eventually perished. All the inhabitants from the twenty seemed to have perished, they weren't around when I made the transition to the 30. I had a dottyback that was picking on everyone in the tank, so I think he was the culprit...

I will try to get a good pic tonight with the bicolor and the coraline growth I am getting!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
well i'd like to say i'm subscribing so i can sit back and watch
your tank grow along side…however there is a chance i won't be back coz
i'm not getting notifications right now :demented:
but it's coming along nicely. :-D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Every time I get a chance to pop onto this thread, I SWEAR the tank itself has grown ~.^
*WOOTS* for THIRTY GALLONS!!!

Is the bicolor Psuedochromis. . .a dottyback? The same one that was bullying the others? That was a neon dottyback?! *ishconfused*
I would love it if you managed to snag us a couple of shots to share! I (obviously) don't know much about saltwater or reef tanks, but I DO know pretty fish when I see them, and I love to swoon!
So. . . what's the next step? (don't say another upgrade!*giggles*)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
There is a funny saying that I heard long ago and it goes...

When disaster strikes "Upgrade"

Don't take it the wrong way,some times it just makes sense,I speak from personal experience. Thats why its funny.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
There is a funny saying that I heard long ago and it goes...

Don't take it the wrong way,some times it just makes sense,I speak from personal experience. Thats why its funny.
LOL!

Oh, I have been there before. :roll:

I took some iPhone pics last night, so I will post them when I have a second today.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I like that one, Gilly! . . .but I think we need a NEW saying. . .

How about:
Upgrade any time you get a chance, but never let a (smaller) tank sit empty!

THAT sounds more like the three of us, I think? *giggles*

Good luck finding a few to spare around here today, Wake. . .they're keeping us busy, neh? ;-)
Can't wait for the shots! ^__^

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Every time I get a chance to pop onto this thread, I SWEAR the tank itself has grown ~.^
*WOOTS* for THIRTY GALLONS!!!
You're imagining things... ;-)

Is the bicolor Psuedochromis. . .a dottyback? The same one that was bullying the others? That was a neon dottyback?! *ishconfused*
Bigger tank, smaller fish. I don't think I will a real problem. Plus the neon is a burrowing animal, so they tend to be a little more territorial.

But yes, psuedochromis = dottyback

I would love it if you managed to snag us a couple of shots to share! I (obviously) don't know much about saltwater or reef tanks, but I DO know pretty fish when I see them, and I love to swoon!
Your wish is my command!

I am getting a good amount of coraline algae. I have been dosing and keeping Calcium and Alk at higher (still within the boundaries) ranges, 450ppm and 11 dKH respectively.
photo1.jpg

A few of the Dottyback:
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

A mushroom:
photo4.jpg

My hammer is really filling out:
photo5.jpg

FTS:
photo6.jpg

So. . . what's the next step? (don't say another upgrade!*giggles*)
My plan is to refinish my basement, and build this thirty into a wall. I will be adding a few clowns at the end of the month, and if I can afford it more coral. Otherwise I will have to look into trading for some frags...

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Awesome!!! Good luck with the remodeling - when you aren't growing tanks, you seem to always be building things. I like it - keep up the good work!

The tank is looking really nice - and the dottyback is super cute (I love him!) You have. . .a MUSHROOM!??? Awww!

Time (once again) for me to show my complete and utter lack of salty knowledge by asking what is probably the most ridiculously obvious question on the forum!
(this is my favorite part of the day! ^__^)

What are those. . . things. . .that look like stem plants with bubbly leaves!?
I've never seen those before! Whatever they may be, they're super neat!
(sorry if you said already, I can't *always* tell what you're referring to, cuz'. . . I dunno stuff about things >.<)
I'm, like, the WORST salty fan EVER! XP

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
What are those. . . things. . .that look like stem plants with bubbly leaves!?
I've never seen those before! Whatever they may be, they're super neat!
(sorry if you said already, I can't *always* tell what you're referring to, cuz'. . . I dunno stuff about things >.<)
I'm, like, the WORST salty fan EVER! XP
I say caulerpa racemosa. It's a macroalgae. I use it to absorb nutrients so nuisance algae doesn't overtake my tank (like Green Hair Algae).

I usually put it in my sump (in my larger systems), but with no sump I figured just throw it in the tank! It has rooted to the rocks and everything! I do have to trim some of the stems back as they tend to get unsightly... I will take care of that tomorrow with my water change.

See, we can do planted too...;-)

61 - 78 of 78 Posts