Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just built a ten gallon tank that is volcano themed, majority red and black colors. Don't know what kinds of cool fish to put in a ten gallon. Looking for fish with red and black. Keep in mind this is not a planted tank. Otherwise I would have maybe done badis. I'd still like to do so, but will they be ok in this tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah I was thinking a combination of rasboras, black ruby barbs and cherry barbs. Maybe a bumblebee catfish! Those things are cool when their big and less shy!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll pobably have to pick two of the three species. Black rubys are beautiful when they are adults. Not so much though as juveniles. They just look like ugly tiger barbs then. Never had cherry barbs. Was also considering glass barbs

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I like the barbs because some don't need heaters, they do well in 70 degree water so that opens it up for different tank mates(well not in a 10g). I would like to set up a 20g for just cherry barbs they look so cool, I just need to get some horn wort and java moss so those guys can breed in the tanks.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I don't suggest Black rubies or Tigers in a 10 gallon, not enough space for them to swim and be a school. You'll have to pick one school unfortunately for a 10 gallon, there's just not enough room.

Did you grout the tank or seal it? Looks good either way ^_^

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I agree, tank is too small for black ruby barbs. Maybe something like flame tetras, green fire tetras, harlequin rasboras, endlers, or a single dwarf flame gourami would fit the theme.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No needs grout. The bottom is just straight poured cement about 3/4 inch. Backwall is a half inch of Styrofoam board with cut out pieces glued to it to form the Boulder look. The volcano is made of the same Styrofoam stacked in layers and cut to look like a volcano. All of it is coded in four layers of cement painted on with a brush.

For fish I think I've decided on a mosquito rasbora school. Any ideas for bottom feeders? To do Cory cats or a bumblebee cat, but they're both communal, and the tens too small for multiple.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Okay, just wanted to make sure you used the colored cement versus acrylic as I've seen someone do before lol.

I wouldn't get a Bumblebee cat if you have microfish; they could get eaten lol. But ideally you want 20 gallons for one Bumblebee with lots of hiding places for them like most catfish.

You could do the Bumblebee Goby though, they like live foods though and frozen foods.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
You could do the Dwarf and the Mosquito Rasbora (6 of them only)

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Well no, acrylics are fine to use as long as you seal it up with a water proofer like silcone or resin/epoxy. You just can't use the styrofoam and paint it with acrylics and call it done is what I was saying ^_^ Sorry if that was confusing!

Reactions: Hothead360

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I think I'll do the flame dwarf and Mosquitos! Yeah I'm asking cause I've used them before with a epoxy sealant. Works fine so far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Serpae or Buenos Aires tetras.
What is your goal from a bottom feeder? If it is to clean the tank, don't waste your bioload, get a horned Nerite snail, it kind of fits your theme too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts