Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I'm on the UV being unnecessary side.

The higher the wattage the longer the bulb which allows for longer exposure. The intensity at any point along the bulb may be the same between a 3or 30 watt so the length of the bulb given identical flow rates would lead to a longer exposure, not necessarily a more intense exposure. Because UV light is harmful I think they are restricted to certain intensities for residential use. But don't quote me on that.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Gram negative bacteria is just a classification of the bacteria based on a staining method called the Gram stain. E coli I think is an example of a gram negative bacteria. You hear this talked about in ceramic filtration but whether it's gram positive or negative in that case makes little difference as it has to do with the size of the bacterium and filter media pore size, not how thick or tough the cell wall of the critter is.

Unless he could identify the bacteria visually or culture them to administer the stain test, perhaps he had an outbreak with very specific set of symptoms that point to a particular strain of bacteria and it couldn't have been anything else....

Mitch, your water issue cleared before you bought a UV unit, didn't it?

Jeff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts