Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
too much dwell time in a uv... not heard of that one, I couldn't possibly see any ill effects coming from this even in a planted system. I would advocate the use of a UV light if you have the money to spend on them. I look at them as a added insurance along with weekly w/c's. some people swear by them some people say they are useless but if setup correctly flow rate/wattage their results show for themselves.

I wouldn't use a uv to treat a issue usually but more as a prevention. when I was looking into getting one I was recommended a 30 something watt with like 90 gph flow. even with a higher watt you would want your flow under 100 gph IMO - you get better uv effectiveness.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
so a 3w bulb has the same intensity as say a 30 watt?

a low flow/low waatt bulb is generally seen in uv's that are more focused towards green water while the higher end sterilizing ones are higher wattage and can have a higher flow. "dwell time" or I would rather call it exposure time im sure directly reflects how good of a performance you are getting along with how big /higher the wattage is.

ive heard of a guy getting gram neg filtration with a 30 watt at like 90 gph... never heard of such filtration at lower wattage then that unless the water was maybe trickling through...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
No, a 3 watt bulb and a 30 watt bulb do not have the same intensity - that was the point I was making. Because a 3 watt bulb is weak, the amount of exposure time needs to be high because it will take longer to kill something. A 30 watt bulb is powerful, so it will kill things quickly and so a shorter exposure time is necessary. Of course one can have a prolonged exposure time with a high wattage bulb, but like I said it doesn't make things any deader. And of course a high flow with a low wattage bulb renders it useless.

I've spent an embarrassingly massive amount of time on forums and I've never heard of gram negative filtration. I assume you mean his UV kills gram negative bacteria? That would be expected from a 30 watt bulb, as that's quite powerful. But that doesn't mean that a lower wattage bulb doesn't as well, under the right conditions. I'd like to know how this guy determined he had "gram negative filtration".

Sent from Petguide.com App
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...nternal-uv-filter-recomendation-149713/page3/

reply #23 I believe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts