Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide which one is best. Or both? I currently have a filter that came with my 20 gallon tank that is internal and hangs on the side. Should I go with a sponge filter to combat algae bloom? Or use a UV sterilizer? I don’t really want both because of clutter, but I have seen some opt for both.
Product Font Line Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think instead you should get a bristlenose pleco those are great algae eaters but don't mistake them for the common pleco which gets 24 inches, while the bristlenose gets only 5 inches.

·
Administrator
7-10 ranging in sizes up to 125g
39 Posts
They serve 2 different purposes. Sponge filter will remove some waste from the water column while supplying a porous surface to grow beneficial bacteria.
A UV sterilizer kills microbes in your tank. A quality unit is usually expensive and bulky. Most of the cheaper ones are questionable in my opinion.

In all my years of keeping/breeding fresh water fish I have never owned a UV sterilizer. If you're looking to control an algae bloom consider the sponge filter and possibly cutting back on lighting. Is your tank by any chance in a window where it would get direct sun light? It may just be that your tank needs time to settle in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts