Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 29 gallon tank with only a 20W bulb on it. The plants are mostly low light. They are not thriving but there there is also no supplemented CO2 and a small fish load. I figure I should get a stronger light, but its on a long list of future purchases.

In the mean time, I would like to get my java moss booming. I would like it for breeding tanks. It's looking healthy but growing slow in the tank. Could I just throw that moss in a 5 gallon tank or a shallow 5 gallon bucket with a sponge filter and a utility lamp, with a 60W bulb, that one might use for their reptile or garage?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
With no CO2 enhancement (ie) Excel,DIY,injected,and low fish load,or fertz application,more light will only bring lot's of algae.
Dual T8 fixture for 29 gal I use...has two 17 watt T8 bulb's.Grow's plant's just fine.
Can't remember where I got it online."Can't remember @!%*" hardly anymore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
co2 is as important to a plant as light is, without co2 a plant cannot take up more nutrients or grow, there has to be a balance of everything and co2 seems to be what runs out first in the day.
I am using some micro fertz. I'm going to try a DIY CO2 but will plants grow with a utility light?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm using a 10w (40w incandescent equivalency) Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) on a 10 gallon tank. Lower light level but the Java Moss does very well. The bulb screws into an incandescent socket.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Sure, 60 watts over a bucket will work, but just dont use too much water... Do an emmersed setup. Id just do a daylight cfl
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts