Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in the short time I've been here that there's a lot of "I'm OCD about cleaning the tank", and there's also a thread called "Help with my anorexic fish", and these things are really, honestly offensive. As a person with a mental illness, seeing people using mental illnesses to describe something other than a mental illness itself feels like it's belittling and making light of the very real, sometimes crippling every day difficulties that mentally ill people have to deal with.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hello Rimbaum
Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. I have opened a discussion thread in our Moderator area about your concern.
To date, no one has brought this issue forward so we will need some time to have a discussion about it. We are in several time zones so it may take some time.

What I can tell you is:
We try to edit people as little as possible, mainly swearing or aggressiveness to another member but if you find something that is offensive you will need to report the post or thread by using the small red/white triangle & exclamation point symbol in the left panel of EACH post that you find offensive. Each one generates a Alert post in our Moderation Area and will be reviewed on an individual basis. This is the best way to bring this to all of our attention at one time. We rely on our members to help as we can't be everywhere.

We DO have many members on our forums who openly share their conditions and they are very comfortable talking about them. They have found that fish keeping is something they enjoy and have come here to share their passions. We certainly do not wish to have our members offended.

Please "alert" the offending posts to us when you see it happen. I also Thank You for not openly discussing this with the "offending party" in the thread.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hi Rimbaum,

The context that these phrases are being used in are not with the intent to harm or poke fun at anyone. For example, if I say that I'm having a senior moment, it certainly doesn't mean that I dislike old people. In that instance, it's just a common phrase used without malicious intent.

On the other hand, if someone makes fun of or uses words to hurt another member with OCD, anorexia, or any given number of possible disorders, that's a very different story and something we would have to address.

If you do see anyone intentionally pointing fingers or willfully upsetting another member please use the report button or pm any of the team members about it.

Thanks,
Romad

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Rimbaum,

The context that these phrases are being used in are not with the intent to harm or poke fun at anyone. For example, if I say that I'm having a senior moment, it certainly doesn't mean that I dislike old people. In that instance, it's just a common phrase used without malicious intent.

On the other hand, if someone makes fun of or uses words to hurt another member with OCD, anorexia, or any given number of possible disorders, that's a very different story and something we would have to address.

If you do see anyone intentionally pointing fingers or willfully upsetting another member please use the report button or pm any of the team members about it.

Thanks,
Romad
Whether the intent is to harm someone or not, the end result is that the mental illnesses in question are being made light of, and really undermines the difficulties that so many people have by effectively saying "this isn't that bad, see, I can deal with it no problem. why can't you?"

and that IS a problem. People with mental illnesses have to deal with enough as it is without seeing people saying things that, to them, undermine everything they've worked so hard for. And for some, like myself, it leads to us feeling broken every time we see something with a particular, innocently-meant turn of phrase.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I'm not sure what we can do for you in an open public forum setting. We can't police things down to that level.

Again, I can only stress the importance of context. We will always take action if someone intentionally uses any words to hurt or ridicule someone.

Reactions: ao
1 - 5 of 5 Posts