Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home uses a well for it's water inside the house. The water straight from the well is a brown color because it is very high in iron. After coming from the well, the water goes through a water softening system before coming into the house. I have been doing a lot of research and one thing I keep seeing is to NOT used water from a water softening system. I know bottled distilled water lacks everything, so I was thinking of using bottled spring water for setting up my new aquarium (5 gallon) for my African Dwarf Frogs and Plants. I have a few things I will be adding to the water but after reading so many things, it seems like I should be adding just about everything to my water. If I use bottled spring water, can I just add a few biologics to it and go from there or am I missing something crucial? Thanks for any information given.

Stacy Andersen

·
Registered
4 Posts
When we had a 20gal freshwater tank, we used the water from those "Self-fill" stations at the grocery store where you bring your own bottle and fill it up for like like $0.20/gal. It's basically tap water, but it was filtered with charcoal, reverse osmosis, and UV light. It worked great for us, but was kind of a pain.

When we upgraded to a 55Gal, we started using conditioned tap water because it was getting to be too much trouble for water changes of that volume.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts