Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Just put the media from the HOB in the canister. You don't need to run both.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hmmm, well then what I would do is cut the old filter cartridge in 2. Put some in the canister and put the rest plus a new cartridge in the HOB.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I've got a couple of 3s and a 4 - great filters. Since you probably have the sponges in the bottom tray, I would stick it between the layers of sponge.

And a helpful tip - if you use carbon, put that in the top tray that way it's easier to access. If you put it in the middle tray like you are "supposed" to do, then it's more work changing it because you'll have to remove the top tray to access it. Were it me and I wanted to use carbon, I would get a small HOB to keep it in to make it super easy to change. Unless you have a lot of plant matter being sucked up by the filter, it can go for a long time between cleanings. I clean mine twice a year, and I'm a few months late on the summer cleaning. That's the only time I open them up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya the sponges are on the bottom and I took the carbon out so the bio balls are in middle and in the top is just a piece of sponge that's pretty wide open. Not sure what I should put in it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have mine set up with fluval ceramic prefilters in the bottom, then sponge in the middle, and biomax on top.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have them completely full or like half way? I have some ceramic cylinders in the middle but only enough to fil it half way so I put the bio balls on top of them in the same basket.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have them all filled. Do they need to be filled? Most likely not.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the whole set up for free and was just gonna run what was in it but I think I need to fill it with more bio balls or something. What do you guys use or recommend. I finally found a good lfs in my area so I can get whatever I need to

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I'm not a fan of bioballs. I like biomax. But, I don't think it particularly matters much - volume of media is generally not an issue with canister filters.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
As long as your water tests show 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, you've got plenty of media from a bioload perspective. If you have particulates in the water and water clarity is a problem, then you can add finer media to collect that. If water clarity is good, then you don't need to worry about that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts