Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while. Been busy with doctors appointments etc. But I decided to upgrade from my 23 gallon aquarium to a new Seaclear 40 gallon long tank. I was informed by many that I would end up doing this, and they were right. I believe it even has a name (multiple tank syndrome)although I don't intend to keep the 23 gallon set up . I receive it tomorrow and also 40 pounds of eco complete substrate. I've read some articles on proper changing. Most are similar. I intend to use some of my old gravel from my old tank and my old filters(filstar xp1 and aquaclear 30). I'm hoping this will be enough. I've recently added about 10 New plants that seem to be doing well, and my fish are too. My questions are 1. should I use any of the old water, 2. how much if any of the old gravel, and if anyone has any tips or lessons from their experiences that would help me in making this as much as a stress free time for my fish, and me as well. I'm learning everyday, by reading, asking questions and by making mistakes along the way. I anticipate this to be a pretty big job, so I would thoroughly appreciate any and all advice from the helpful members of this community. Thanks for your time and consideration, sincerely Ross41 :)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You don't need to use any of the old water. All it will do is add to the nitrates and other yucky stuff. Just start with new fresh conditioned water. When i upgraded years ago from a 20 to a 55 gallon, i moved over my existing filter as well as added a new filter, i added new gravel but put a couple large handfuls of my old gravel in a nylon and hung it by the intake of the filter. I moved over existing decor and plants. Then added tbe fish once the tank was up to temp. Acclimate them like you would a new fish. I didnt see much if a cycle at all. Because i had a light fish load from my 20 and used the existing filter and decor it was pretty much an instant cycle. Just keep an sye on the parameters and don't add any new fish for a couple weeks. You should be fine. Good luck and have fun with your new tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to the upgrade, although I must admit I'm a little apprehensive. But I've learned that getting advice and reading what I can find helps limit errors. If I can ever learn how to post pictures I will definitely do it. I'm not the most technical minded person in the family. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.