Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 60 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I had a school of brown loaches. Never saw them because they were constantly in the sand. I rehomed him to a friend of mine who doesn''t mind not seeing them xD
Not seeing them worried me. I hated not being able to see them atleast once a day to make sure everyone was still alive. The striped guy I had never dug into the sand.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I want to make sure everyone has their own space. Once I have 6-8 of one of the schools, I may decide wither or not I feel comfortable fitting the other school in.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I haven't been lucky enough to keep Cories yet, so I can't say anything about that, but you could do loaches in there, for sure! The only thing I'd be concerned with is if they'd be able to find a way to squirm into the volcano? You'd also have to screen off the intake for your canister filter. . . they WILL get in there - even if it looks impossible. And getting them out again is not fun >.> I haven't kept the Javas, though - they seem (from my readings and research) to be more reclusive than their stripey cousins. My striped loaches never burrow, and are always out and about in my 55g.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Aww, I know that feeling! Patience is good, you'll get there!
impatience didn't get me too far the last time I was impatient with this tank. I lost an entire school and almost all my silver angels. Definitely learned my lesson ;)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I lost a gourami!!! And just when I started getting comfortable enough to not do role call everyday :(
Found her behind the DW during today's water change. I did role call yesterday, she was there and doing well. Normal behavior, colorful and eating like a pig.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Awww. It's those deaths that are so upsetting cause we just don't have a cause for them sometimes. There one day and gone the next. It is sad.
I`m sorry you lost a fish. Gourami`s are a favorite of mine too.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thank you Jakie. I hate it when deaths like that happen. I'm not given a chance to attempt to heal them. It really bums me out :/
I think it was the one that liked the volcano I had. I named her Dory.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I am so sorry about your lil one dying, I hope you and his/her fishy friends are ok! :(

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks Aussie. Everyone else is still doing pretty well.
This Friday, it payday. It's also the time when rent is due :p If I have some extra cash and everyone else is doing fine. I'll nab me a school of longfin cories and see if the person I get them from has a blue gourami to throw in. The girls were getting along so well and their blue/purple hues balanced out all the colors very nicely.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well, this past weekend I made a trip to my LFS for another blue gourami girl. The guy who runs it had only 2 left, he said he knew they do better in groups(he's also been following my tank), so he gave me the last girl for FREE!! So awesome :3 They're both chilling out in their QT bin. Still very spookable, but they're soon starting to realize my presence means joy and not fear.
Floated them in my show tank for a pic/acclimation(QT tank has same water)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Poor Dory! So sorry to hear. . .

But huzzah for new babies in QT! The new blues are pretty - and awesome that you were given one for free! I'm coming to YOUR shop next time I'm shopping for fishies. . . ^.^ Did you end up getting a shoal of long-fin Cories?

. . . been a few days now, how are your newbies doing? Hoping all is well!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
They're doing great. Colored up real nicely. This past Saturday was week 1 in QT. ALOT of chasing in the QT tub, but I added in all my fake plant decor and they've toned it down a bit. They haven't shown any issues so far, makes me wanna put em in right now. But I know what rushing your tank gets ya ;)

I haven't gotten any LF cories yet. Money got much tighter than I expected it would during pay weekend. Smaller paycheck than usual....next paycheck rent is due, so not sure about getting anything then. Then again, the 2 new girls are expected to be introed into the tank during that time. So I'd rather atleast a coupla weeks for everyone to establish their places/settle in.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Don't you hate it when paychecks do that???! I swear mine is ALWAYS less than it should be *grumbles* Happy to hear things are going well with the new arrivals, though!!! ^.^ Slow stocking always builds the best tanks, and gives us journal readers something to look forward to!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Oh I do!!!
I got up and was all "yes! Its payday!" Checked the bank..."wha!!?? Almost $60 less!?" I thought I did the math correct. Clearly I didn't. All my training clients have paid their 2 weeks. Maybe the LF cories had a bad influence on my math hehe

41 - 60 of 366 Posts