Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have kept freshwater tropical fish for decades, mostly community tanks. To my 30 gallon tank containing mollies and platys I recently introduced a small quarter sized angelfish. Everyone is getting along fine, no aggressive behaviours. But, yesterday and today I noticed 4 of my mollies (2 black & 2 silver) taking turns sidling up the my angelfish, assuming a vertical (head up) stationary position during which time the angelfish gently bumped into the side of their bodies. This happened over and over again. The angelfish never approached the mollies. It was the other way around. I couldn't tell if the angelfish was nipping or just bumping. If the behaviour continues, I'll take a video with my phone and submit it.

Have any of your seen this behaviour?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If once had 3 freshwater angelfish with 2 dwarf gouramis, 6 mollies, 9 neon tetras, and 4 platies in a 150 that I later added a few guppies in, 2 of the angelfish were only slightly larger then a quarter and the mollies and platies were attacking them. Unfortuantly, I tried to save them when i found out they were getting beaten up by the mollies and platies but both of the angelfish died... I decided to leave the large angelfish in the tank since it was 3 times the size of the mollies and platies but to my astonishment less then a week later she was dead, I had a security camera and when I watched the footage I couldnt believe it all the mollies and platies had ganged up on the angefish and nipped its finns until it had been shredded. I never put angelfish with mollies and platies again. Your angelfish is likely trying to defend itself against the mollies so I reccomend giving the angelfish or the mollies away or moving them to diffrent tanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I actually believe the angel was cleaning the mollies of some kind of parasite. Once I dosed the tank with Paraguard, the behavior stopped. Everyone is now happy and getting along.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats Great! Reply to this message if you want more infermation otherwise all I can say is to keep posting your problems and help others!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have kept freshwater tropical fish for decades, mostly community tanks. To my 30 gallon tank containing mollies and platys I recently introduced a small quarter sized angelfish. Everyone is getting along fine, no aggressive behaviours. But, yesterday and today I noticed 4 of my mollies (2 black & 2 silver) taking turns sidling up the my angelfish, assuming a vertical (head up) stationary position during which time the angelfish gently bumped into the side of their bodies. This happened over and over again. The angelfish never approached the mollies. It was the other way around. I couldn't tell if the angelfish was nipping or just bumping. If the behaviour continues, I'll take a video with my phone and submit it.

Have any of your seen this behaviour?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have kept and bred angelfish off and on for nearly 50 years. I have never witnessed commensalism or coorporative behavior with another species. Most of the interesting behavior I have witnessed has been during breeding. Angelfish usually become very aggressive during breeding and keep most other fish out of their territory. A few years ago, I had a 50 gallon well planted aquarium with a breeding pair of angels, a male and several female mollies and a breeding pair of German blue rams. The tank was always fun to observe during breeding periods. The species interactions were mainly territory protection during breeding. Both the angels and rams were great parents and produced many generations. Surprisingly, many of the molly spawn survived long enough to be moved to rearing tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts