Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reckon i'll get some snobby replys about using an UG filter, but that's what i've got, so please just answer the questions that i ask.

How tightly does the powerhead intake have to connect with the filter lift tube to be effective?

My intake doesn't fit snugly. Any ideas about attaching the intake to the lift tube more snugly.

Thanks for the help.

DW

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Whats the diameter of the tubing and the diameter of the powerhead (or make/model of powerhead)? If its under 16mm, I would use a small length of aquarium hose (or clear PVC) to attach the two and make a snug fit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

Another question: My Aquaclear Powerhead 30s, which are driving the undergravel filter, seem to put out more air than water. There are supposedly some needle valves that are supposed to regulate the air, but no matter which way I turn them or what I do, the air still seems excessive. While air is good, water is better in this case. Anyone else out there with Aquaclear Powerheads that can offer advice about shutting down the percentage of air in the output?

Thanks,
DW

·
Registered
134 Posts
Puzzled

I am firmly in the like UGFs camp. That being said, I am perplexed by the use of powerheads. The usual purpose of UGFs is to allow a Bio filter to colonize that area and uplift tubes/bubblers move water across that colony slowly enough to let them eat. I could be wrong, but I think bugs can not eat fast. The air may be a side effect. Have you tried reducing the flow rate? If you can not then would you try only using one? Are you using any of the standard bubblers in the uplift tubes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally figured out how to regulate the air volume and was able to slow it down. From my experience in biochemistry, i don't think the flow rate through the gravel bed would be too fast for the bugs to grab hold and metabolize ammonia and nitrites. Bugs are pretty good at grabbing metabolites. The flow rate i am most concerned with is the agitation of the water in the tank produced by the powerheads (see my other post on agitation). I have turned the outflow down a bit to slow the agitation. There is pretty good downward current right in the middle in the front as a result of the powerhead output.
DW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.