Tropical Fish Keeping banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Adult fish are splendid

The Red Line Barb is a new fish to me, since I've been out of the hobby for approximately 15 years, but I have seen one at a hobby shop demoing a planted tank. It only has one in it but that one fish is a fine looking fish; it grabbed my attention right away. Started trying to remember if I had seen it before but couldn't recall so, apparently a newer specimen into the hobby world since roughly 1999.

I have considered a used tank and probably will pick one up, something around 20 gallons to act as my quarantine tank. I was at a thrift shop today, I'm at my other home on Vancouver Island in Qualicum Beach and I hit the thrift store for cheap magazines and books to read. They had a 30 gallon for around $25 and if I had my main tank I might have bought it, but I know tanks at thrift shop are a dime a dozen so I'll hold off.

I haven't been to Aquarium West in over two decades so I was at their new store yesterday and they have a Fluval Osaka 260 set up I think I'm definitely interested in, its a 57 gallon and the dimensions are decent and could handle 4 Red Line Barbs, some other smaller barb schooling, some Panda Cory's, some shrimp, and with that I think I would be good to go. The dimensions of the tank is:

40.5 inches long
17.7 inches wide
24.5 inches high

Its 4.5 inches longer than the 50 gallon I was looking at, with the red line barb I think I'd be better off with the slightly longer tank.

Thank you for all your kind responses, looking forward to my "new" life in the hobby.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
The Red Line Barb is a new fish to me, since I've been out of the hobby for approximately 15 years, but I have seen one at a hobby shop demoing a planted tank. It only has one in it but that one fish is a fine looking fish; it grabbed my attention right away. Started trying to remember if I had seen it before but couldn't recall so, apparently a newer specimen into the hobby world since roughly 1999.

I have considered a used tank and probably will pick one up, something around 20 gallons to act as my quarantine tank. I was at a thrift shop today, I'm at my other home on Vancouver Island in Qualicum Beach and I hit the thrift store for cheap magazines and books to read. They had a 30 gallon for around $25 and if I had my main tank I might have bought it, but I know tanks at thrift shop are a dime a dozen so I'll hold off.

I haven't been to Aquarium West in over two decades so I was at their new store yesterday and they have a Fluval Osaka 260 set up I think I'm definitely interested in, its a 57 gallon and the dimensions are decent and could handle 4 Red Line Barbs, some other smaller barb schooling, some Panda Cory's, some shrimp, and with that I think I would be good to go. The dimensions of the tank is:

40.5 inches long
17.7 inches wide
24.5 inches high

Its 4.5 inches longer than the 50 gallon I was looking at, with the red line barb I think I'd be better off with the slightly longer tank.

Thank you for all your kind responses, looking forward to my "new" life in the hobby.
AW is a fine store, I know Jeanne the owner, she's quite wonderful and we are friends. But I have to be honest, prices are higher there. If you talked her into a deal... not saying she would, but until one tries. She is a nice person, as is her husband who is often in the store. She has a good website; some of my tanks are pictured in the gallery, old photos though, must send her some updated ones. B.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Whoo I abandoned this thread for forever.... just a few points to put forward:

-aquariums west is awesome.... If you haven't been there, check it out just for the eye candy. I know I do all the time! Their prices (espescially on equipment) are higher there, yes, but their livestock is super-healthy.

-mr pets is like the reverse... the fish there are pretty biohazardous IME but prices are dirt cheap! I always buy equipment there, mostly because it is 5 minutes away but also cause it's cheap. They have all their stock/pricing on the website so you can always compare to other places which is nice.

-I am absolutely loving my fluval plus filter. I picked it up at mr pets and it is fantastic! It was pricey-er, maybe 40 for the 2 plus but the cost of media is a total joke (probably less than $10/year) and they are dead silent. Plus they are easy to route a carbon line into if you wish. They are phasing the plus line out for the U line, but I am quite happy with the plus and am pretty sure the U line is just a grab to get you buying more filter media.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm returning for my fifth time in the hobby and in all my last incarnations, I would use an under gravel filter with a canister filter. I've owned a number of aquariums over my life, starting with a 5 gallon and ended with a 150 gallon. This time I'm thinking of a Tetra tank (our water here is naturally acidic so I thought I might as well take advantage of the situation), the tank will be smaller, probably a 33 gallon or 50 gallon tank set up in my bedroom.

My question is this, under gravel filters seems to be ebbing in use and I just read they are not recommended in a heavily planted aquarium such as I am contemplating. Is this information factual, and why?:BIGhmm:
I have a 75 gal freshwater planted, community tank:
Guppies, neon tetra, glow fish, algae eater, White Cloud Mountain, Cory’s.
I have both an under gravel and a canister running.
Moderate airflow into 4 risers, and full blast on the canister with a spray bar.
Knock-on-wood: it seems to be a great set-up.
using some coarse gravel to keep UG Plates in place and finer clay-based substrate. Canister full of BioHome.
Tank remains algae free, crystal clear, and fish are all fine.
I’m changing water 20%-33% every month, No water tests, just changing out of good practice. I use a nylon sponge on glass at water-change but see no build-up.
I’m coming to the conclusion every tank is unique and different; there is no magic formula that fits all.
If it is working, continue, if not: adjust.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts