Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,174 Posts
So which part or parts do you disagree with or find unbelievable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the use of bleach for a start, then the lack luster use of cooking salt, the blase meauring of dechlorinator the main one for me tho has to be the bleach by far, i wouldnt dream of using it anywhere near my tanks
He has got some good practices like the frequent water changes, theres a nice part where theres a hidden bio filter.

You didnt find anything a bit on the shocking side?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Seems like a lot of really big fish in that tank :(
Yeah! Fo sho! Tinfoil barbs- like what, 10 of them, 2 silver dollars and a god knows what else, i stopped watching after about 16 seconds. Idiot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Molinious and Nilet699, unless you know the person in real life, it's not best to pass judgement on him. That especially holds for Nilet's comment.

I've actually met and know Dave in real life because his shop is in my hometown. Ill agree he is a little eccentric and old fashion but he does have a very successful store. If you want to ask him why he does what he does just leave a comment.

As per the fish he does keep his tanks very clean and grows out fish to sell...
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
oh, I'm sorry, i should agree with that? I have aa similar sized tank....should i go and get the exact sme fish and put them in it? They hit 14 inches and ned a 7 ft tank. And yet that video Promotes putting them in a 4 ft 55 galloon - from the look of it, cert not 7 ft - tank. Because it's not the expert fish keeper who looks up and watches them videos, its not the people who know about fish size, development and well being who watch it, its the newbies to the hobby, the ones who will see that and thinks its acceptable.

i'm also well entitled to my own opinion. it remains at idiot.

EDIT; having a successful shop means diddly squat - are you telling me no successful shop mistreats its fish? No successful shop willingly sells fish like balas, clowns and tinfoils to people with tanks waaaaaay too small? I think theres probably 3000 posters who've joined this forum, never mind the others, or the ones who dont post who's disagree! (i was looking for aquanano 40 YESTERDAY 40cm x 40 x40 cube i want for an amano aquascape and i saw one on a FB group with pics- unfortunately not for sale because he was so proud of it- 2 gouramis, neons, and 4 bala sharks in it!!!)People who may never bother to research what they need, may just never know, people who rely on info they see in videos like this where they see a gorgeous tank, emulate it because thats what an ''expert'' did and therfore seriously ruin their fish. Dave might of had them fish in there for a week why he moved them on......but thats not what the video said...it says this is acceptable. Theres an 'i' word again i'm thinking of.... In fact theres a few, Idiot, irresponsible, injustice to the fish are just a few.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
If you went to his shop, he would refuse to sell fish to customers that don't have the correct size tank. He also does a pH test as well.

Like I said before the fish in that tank were for grow out for someone else. Also, you don't know "diddly squat" about his business because you've never seen it.

I've personally worked with a several privately own LFS in my town and Dave has one of the best set ups.
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Thats fine, your well entitled to support his shop, him, and his methods, but you wont get that from me. I'll gladly argue you tooth and nail forever over this.

Can you see my point here about the video - with a bit of context about the tanks inhabitants, I now see your point a little more, but its not me its going to effect, its the ignorant/newbie who will take that video from an expert as hard evidence of what can go in a 4 ft tank.

And on the refuse to sell fish, i'd call bollocks in that straight up.

I'm NOT going to change my original opinion, the best you'll get is;

In the context of the video, he is an idiot.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bacon Is Good

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
There are a quite a few LFS in Houston that will refuse to sell fish if your pH is wrong, ie aquarium world has several tanks that state low pH, brackish, and/or flat out says needs water sample for fish purchase. I'll take a picture next time I visit, just moved so I can't visit that often :(

As for the fish, yes I do agree it was stupid of him to show that tank considering he has others, but he knows how large they get and will attempt to dissuade people from buying them. Worse case secenrio is that he will trade out large specimens and rehome them
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
As for the fish, yes I do agree it was stupid of him to show that tank considering he has others, but he knows how large they get and will attempt to dissuade people from buying them. Worse case scenario is that he will trade out large specimens and rehome them
Posted via Mobile Device
Fair enough but 442 000 people have watched that video.

This is pointless now, we've both made out points, you like the guy, i dont like what he advocated in one video. the video isn't exactly entirely useless - though i didnt pay loads of attention as due to the fish, the use of bleach etc that personally i just didnt like. Oh and the ''just use as much stress coat as you want, dont measure, just throw in'' approach. Just doesnt promote great practices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,174 Posts
the use of bleach for a start, then the lack luster use of cooking salt, the blase meauring of dechlorinator the main one for me tho has to be the bleach by far, i wouldnt dream of using it anywhere near my tanks
He has got some good practices like the frequent water changes, theres a nice part where theres a hidden bio filter.

You didnt find anything a bit on the shocking side?
Well, I don't buy into to everything he states, but I'm not really shocked...

> I would not stock a tank to that level, but [at least] all of the fish in that tank seem large and very healthy and the water is very clear.

> I would not use salt in a FW tank, but many people do and it's the subject of quite a longstanding debate. I think the amount typically used is small enough to be almost moot. To those that questioned it, there's no significant difference in the resulting effect between table salt and aquarium salt.

> I would be more careful measuring conditioner, but does a little extra really hurt anything? Seachem states that Prime can be significantly overdosed with no ill effects. (Reminds me of the cooking show where a contestant measured salt in the palm of his hand and one judge was aghast that he didn't use a measuring spoon...if you can't approximate a teaspoon of salt in your hand, get out of the kitchen!)

> I prefer to use white vinegar when running decor through the dishwasher, but chlorine bleach works fine. It's a great sanitizer and algae beater and rinses clean from plastics and rocks, so no worries. Btw, the dishwasher works great in the occasional cleaning of decor...just don't run your living plants through there. :)

> I'm not sure I would totally ignore a dedicated bio-filter, although it would likely run for months without the need for servicing.

Finally, I find him unique and a little eccentric or 'quirky', but would not defame him as some have chosen to do...especially seeing his results and compared to some of the videos out there revealing far worse practices.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Granberry

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Yea, I agree with Tigris and AbbeysDad on this one; I don't see anything "unbelievable" in this video, and we're all entitled to our own methods. Would I use his methods? No, but that's because I maintain a completely different type of aquarium which doesn't require that sort of maintenance. Would I argue against someone else following his advice? No, but I might give some of my own advice in addition to what was shown in the video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I liked this guy. I found him very watchable (except that brief moment at about 5:01 where he looks at the camera), and I was glad for the tip on how to start suction on the siphon hose. I always have a hard time getting that started.

As for the number of fish in there, I can't say anything because dang, his gravel was so clean! I thought his tank was beautiful, and I don't have those fish, but I'm betting they all shoal together in a really tight bunch in the wild.

At the first, I thought it would be a fun drinking game to drink every time he said "fish tank" but then he kind of cooled it...I'm going to watch 2 now and see how it goes. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I found his video more "entertaining" than informative. I disagree with some of his cleaning & dosing methods, but eh... it's YouTube.

I don't take what I see there too seriously besides that video was created in 2009. I'm sure his maintenance techniques have improved since then.

That guy has also has some "entertaining" cooking, Halloween & home improvement & pet store videos. Cooking videos are a bit scary, but everyone has their techniques.

Also the side gate he built himself looked nice, but he attached the gate onto stone wall with 2 - 10oz tubes of liquid nails?

I've also NEVER seen anyone feed their fish SO MANY flakes @ once with the filter on full blast. You have to watch that FEEDING video.

Overall, I give him an "A" for effort. TexasDave seems like a funny guy & even has a 1 year no questions asked replacement GUARANTEE on the most of the fish he sells in his store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
Funny

I don't have to do any of that. :shock:


Funny funny vid tho

my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Thats fine, your well entitled to support his shop, him, and his methods, but you wont get that from me. I'll gladly argue you tooth and nail forever over this.

Can you see my point here about the video - with a bit of context about the tanks inhabitants, I now see your point a little more, but its not me its going to effect, its the ignorant/newbie who will take that video from an expert as hard evidence of what can go in a 4 ft tank.

And on the refuse to sell fish, i'd call bollocks in that straight up.

I'm NOT going to change my original opinion, the best you'll get is;

In the context of the video, he is an idiot.
I totally agree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
Was that wine on the counter?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top