Two zebra are dead, I have no idea what I am doing wrong
As a beginner, I have no idea what to do

Please someone help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was the tank cycled? any tankmates? any leftover food on the substrate? and welcome to the forum
1. Was the tank cycled?
I have maintained the temperature of the bowl and added decoration in the bowl for a day before adding fish.
But I have added the aquatic plant and fishes together at the same time

2. Any Tankmates
I don't have any tank mates of other species but I do have only the group of zebra danios together

3. Any leftover food on the substrate?
Whenever I feed my fish, I remove the leftover food after 10 minutes

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi, sorry for your loss so early into the hobby, but don't let it get you down. We all go through similar as beginners. Few points for you:

1. Those are not zebra danios. I can't make out what they are in the pictures but they are certainly not zebra danios, or any other type of danio for that matter.

2. 3 gallons is too small for keeping 9 of any type of fish, bar the very tiniest species....and that would also depend on my next points......

3. There appears to be no filtration going on in that bowl. You need to have ftration and that is what the previous poster meant by "cycled tank". You need to have a mature "cycled" filter to cope with ammonia created from the fishes waste. Even a small amount of ammonia can cause big problems in no time, This is what I suspect has killed your fish. Ammonia would take no time to build up to dangerous levels in such a small volume of water. Until a filter is mature, you need to perform lots of partial water changes and you need to slowly build up the stocking levels until the tank is mature.. Google "The nitrogen cycle" or check out some YouTube vids on the subject. It is THE most important element of successfully keeping fish that we need to understand in the hobby.

4. Aeration. Bowl shaped aquaria have a terrible surface area to volume ratio and therefore limits the amount of oxygen that can dissolve into the water, compared to a normal rectangle tank. Extra aeration is always required in bowl shaped aquaria, especially with so many fish in there. A wee air pump and airstone would really help.

For the moment, all I can suggest is that you perform daily small water changes with dechlorintaed and temperature matched water.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps you going forward and if you have any questions about any of it then feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to help. We were all beginners once.

Best of luck with it.

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts