Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13,247 Posts
Does it look like wounds? I'm not sure if what I saw are indeed wounds but they do appear to be wounds.:question: Were the danios scratching on decors?

· Registered
13,247 Posts
JouteiMike said:
Didn't notice them scratching on rocks/decorations. They do look like wounds, but I have no idea from what....wonder if it is linked to what happened to my black moor. Just seemed so sudden.
If I can remember, Melafix tends to have effects that make fish scratch on decors. This may apply to overdosing Melafix in the tank but then I doubt you'd ever overdose the Melafix in the tank considering you are quite cautious and careful with what you are doing.:)
I doubt even the small wounds would kill a fish.

· Registered
13,247 Posts
JouteiMike said:
I had 6, now 4. There were two larger sized ones, I think females. And yes I do recall the larger ones being chased and pestured by the smaller ones, but I thought that was part of their natural behavior. So it could very well be stress related. You think it will be worse now that I have a less amount?
From what I am guessing, larger ones are females while the smaller ones are males. I would think it was indeed stress unless you have plenty of plant cover for them to hide from those who chased them.

· Registered
13,247 Posts
JouteiMike said:
Yeah I made sure I did not overdose, I treated the tank for 60 gallons instead of 75. The black moors scales are starting to repair nicely.
That's great.:welldone:

· Registered
13,247 Posts
JouteiMike said:
Well I believe I still have one female, but I believe it was the biggest one that died today. The first one I saw dead was a small male.
Danios are almost easy to distinguish sexes with. Males tend to be slimmer and smaller while females are large and almost always plump(presumably carrying eggs as they are one of the easiest cyprinids to breed).

· Registered
13,247 Posts
JouteiMike said:
I'll try and keep an eye on the remaining 4 and hope for the best. But if I do infact get some more, do you think I should stay away from getting females, or get all females or all males or what?
There's nothing wrong with both sexes mixed as long as you give them plenty of cover. Artificial plants would be your best option if you are keeping them with goldfish. IMO, I wouldn't keep any of the live plants which the goldfish tend to eat. But Javan ferns are worth a try and will often not be eaten easily so you might as well give Javan ferns a go.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.