Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make a suggestion, if I may. All too often, someone will come to a forum, post a picture of a turtle that needs identification, and take the word of the first person that responds as 'fact'. In some cases, the first person to respond may not be correct, which could end up meaning the life of the animal. I would like to ask a rule be in place, that there is no guessing, and that any incorrect identifications be removed as soon as possible, and the person who posted the incorrect ID be PMd about the rules so they know not to do it again. You can see a few threads I have responded to, including the most recent one where a mud turtle was said to be a box turtle. Luckily the OP came back after I corrected the mistake, and finally listened to me. I would be happy to help in any way I can...there is not a single turtle that I cannot identify. thanks for you time

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hi Justatwinturbo!! (Jakiebabie here) Nice to finally meet you here!! I've been reading every post you've written since I came onto the Turtle forum. Your knowledge amazes me... what is your background if I may ask?

I removed the box turtle post for you, I agree that it would be devastating to put a turtle into an incorrect habitat. I cannot identify very many of the turtles posted on the forum and gave up trying and just hope that you will come along and save the day. Once you've named them I generally go to Google since we have no write ups on species or care on the site. Most times I've never heard of them and am fascinated by all the different species. Again how do you know them all? And where can I look them up?

I do insist that you report (triangle symbol) any post that you see with a "reason" so that we can remove them rather than commenting in the thread, (especially if it's a mod!!) I know you are frustrated but that's just not ok. Please calmly just let us know what you need and I for one will be around to move/remove it. HOWEVER, I notice there are only Report Triangle symbols if you enter the turtle forum thru the sister site www.tropicalfishkeeping.com and then click the Turtle folder... that takes you to the same turtle site but controls and member photos/tanks are there too. If you could go that route to report until we can find out if that feature can be added to the Turtle.net site we would appreciate it!

I am thrilled to have you on the Turtle Forum and cannot Thank You enough for your help.
Sharon
Seahorse (Jakiebabie)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've kept turtles since I was a child, always loved the different kinds I would find, which led me to my first book. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it, but it was a green field herping guide for the US. It had color pictures of all kinds of reptiles and amphibians, but all I really cared about were the turtles. Each picture told you where to find a description of the species, as well as where they are native, info about breeding, etc. When I was 15, I met a guy who had 17 turtles. 17!! I couldn't believe it. And all different kinds, that I've never seen in person before. Seeing his setups and the different species, really got me more into keeping and breeding them. Started going to reptile shows, which led me to different species from around the world. Slowly I started learning about more and more species, and then I started buying more books. Some good ones are turtles of the world by earnst and barbour, and all of the terralog books. The terralog books have a lot of great pictures, though some of them are incorrect. Turtles of the world is great for descriptions, but is somewhat out dated. A lot of names are no longer accurate.

As for my comment in the thread, I see how it could have been taken offensive. I had a talk with the mod about it, we seem to have cleared up any confusion there =). I wasn't trying to say "hey mod, you suck..don't post again". It was just a perfect moment to show that...even mods can make mistakes, so we should all make sure we know without a shadow of a doubt what it is before commenting. Its common for someone to create an account, make one post, see the first response and never show up again. Most of these folks will read through a few pages of threads before making a post, so they can see the few times I've mentioned importance of ID, and might even stick around long enough for a few opinions. I meant no offense to the mod, it was a moment where I could say 'look, see! This is why I make such a stink about correct ID'
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hey, sorry I`ve been away... was in England for a vacation. I see that the Ref Team is beginning to form and that you accepted as our Turtle Reference Person.
Thanks so much for joining the team! ¸
We have a new section here.... come say Hello and introduce yourself! I don`t even know your name!!

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/reference-team-lounge/

Sharon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts