Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I'd really like to give my snail some Tums to help his shell, and I was wondering if the Tums would be ok for my Dwarf Gourami who is in my community tank with the snail. They are the mint flavore ones, if that affects the answer any.

Any feedback is hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Oh they're a snack for snails; they do cloud the water most likely thou.
As far as the flavor....hadn't consulted my snails there lately but I think anything goes with them.
The add calcium source; specially in softer waters is essential for them guys.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Search the forum; I can't think right now where it was but we had a chat about that maybe half year ago too.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I wouldn't add flavored Tums. Who knows what's in the flavoring component. I'd stick with something with more straightforward ingredients like calcium supplement pills (I've used Caltrate before).

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I disagree, Jim. Flavored tums are fine. The only ones I haven't tried are mint ones but there is extra ingredient there that is not supposed to be used for snails as it burns their foot in reaction to it. Use the flavored Tums. Strawberry ones usually attract them more than anything else but there are times a snail totally new to Tums will avoid it but if they walk through it, they still absorb the calcium via their foot.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Strawberry ones usually attract them more than anything else ....
:lol: Awesome and I thought I'm the only nutcase here "testing" who likes which foods the best; that makes me feel better about myself now :-D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
the snails in my tank love to nibble on the algie waffers when i put them in my tank :):):)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I disagree, Jim. Flavored tums are fine. The only ones I haven't tried are mint ones but there is extra ingredient there that is not supposed to be used for snails as it burns their foot in reaction to it. Use the flavored Tums. Strawberry ones usually attract them more than anything else but there are times a snail totally new to Tums will avoid it but if they walk through it, they still absorb the calcium via their foot.
I'll take your word for it. I was just being paranoid, which was fueled by this tidbit: I recently found a "natural" flying insect killer that contains nothing but water, CO2 propellant and mint oil, which is the active ingredient. It actually works really well and kills flying bugs in seconds flat. Of course all creatures are different and I had no idea that mint was an effective toxin for insects, but it makes me wonder if more creatures are allergic to it (inverts specifically).

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you sprasy a wasp with Pam spray, it will kill it. Why? Because the bug sufficated. One mint Tums in my 25 gallon tank did not affect my snail, if anything he looks way better now.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
That's good to know.:wink:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Pam? Yeah, it's quite handy actually. Way easier on the environment than usng Raid or something similar.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use tums all the time both flavored and none flavored,

Adding a cuttle bone to the water would be a plus for your snail.
I keep one floating in all tanks I have snails in...
(A cuttle bone you will find in the bird section at your pet store)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, I'll give the cuttle bone a try. I had to put the tums tablet in my filter so my fish wouldn't try to eat it. My snail didn't have the energy to sit on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts