Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a personal computer have to have a minimum Kbps speed in order to load chat?

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Does a personal computer have to have a minimum Kbps speed in order to load chat?
I don't know if I can explain this well but here goes...

Because of your computer speed or bandwidth issues you will have a delay in chatting. You will need to type small messages or comments and you will need to take your time with them as each has to load and refresh. You will find that you cannot keep up if the group is talking fast. You might see the conversation moving well but when you type something it takes 20-30 seconds to show up and by then you appear to be way off topic. It can get very confusing and frustrating. I think it would be best for you to try it with one or 2 other people and ask them to help you test it out to see how much "lag" your messages have. For 2 people chatting you will likely both see the lag. It will take patience but it is quite possible to still chat.

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having run a chatroom in the (distant) past. I definitely know the difference between posts and real-time chat.

The problem is not that I might not be able to keep up. It's that I can't sign-in at all. Last year, before there was an issue with chat, I was in there a few times, and it worked just fine for me. Now it's been reconstituted and I can't get in, period.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Having run a chatroom in the (distant) past. I definitely know the difference between posts and real-time chat.

The problem is not that I might not be able to keep up. It's that I can't sign-in at all. Last year, before there was an issue with chat, I was in there a few times, and it worked just fine for me. Now it's been reconstituted and I can't get in, period.
That's odd! What happens when you try?

I can let Yung know that you're having an issue with it. He'll want to know things about what browser you're using and such, so he can try to figure out where the problem may be. I'm fairly clueless when it comes to computers, sadly :/

I hope you get it fixed, though! Chat is fun! Also nice to get a member in there one-on-one sometimes to walk them through a problem.

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm running Firefox 1.22 on a 44.0 Kbps local dialup. When I call up chat, the loading bars never stop. It never loads, even after refreshing several times. I can type into the dialogue field, but it won't "send."

As I said. Last time I called up chat, everything worked fine. How long since chat went down last time? That's when it was.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Heads up to all involved - I have moved these posts from the Reffie Lounge into MDWM, so that Admin Yung can address this issue, as I suspect he might have the answer (or the right questions!) to figure out what's going on!

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Word from the computer gurus for you, Hal. . .

"The problem lies within the fact that you're using Firefox 1.22 on a 44.0 Kbps local dialup (your own words, post #5). Firefox is currently running on version 25.0. Local dialup is useful for accessing the Google landing page only. "

:(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts