Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is my insane goal to create a wetland in my backyard pond. Everytime I have a little more sucess with the fish but eventually I am thrown a curve ball and I have a die off. I am about ready to give up after 5 years of trying different things when something new pops up.

I live in central Florida and though I have a few cold snaps I have been able to get around this with heaters and self-made pond covers. Filtration has been an issue until I thought I had figured it out with circulation using an air stone and plants to use up my nitrates.

However, I have a palm trees that drop dates into the pond and they seem to affect water quality somehow by creating a film on the surface and making the water milky.

Unfortunately just after this happened my air pump decided to go out on me.

Needless to say I have lost about 7 of my fish.

My solution will be to cut the tree down and double up on everything (as I have learned with my heating system).

Hopefully this will be last problem. I will keep dither fish in the pond until I see things have stabilized.

I usually take fish that get too big for my 150 gallon tank and place them in the 600 gallon pond. The pond has a shelf with plants around it that is submersed in the summer bu about 6 inches of water. The deepest point is about 3 feet deep (into the ground) with an average of 2 feet in depth for 80% of the pond.

THe pond is made of two hard plastic containers about 100 gallons each dug into the ground with a pond liner over that extending out 8 x 16ft with 1 ft side walls made from landscaping logs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the forums here. Your post makes me lament my lack of yard. It sounds like quite the rewarding challenge to maintain a pond. Hope you get back up and running soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts