Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to this amazing website and also fairly new to the fish keeping hobby. I have a question about the number of fish I have. I have a 20 gallon tank and am wondering if it is overstocked or overcrowded.

Inhabitants:
1 sunburst platy
2 gold twinbar platys
2 red wag platys
3 guppies

also can I add more fish?

Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
So first, do you have a filter? Heater? and in my opinion you should not add anymore fish, especially because all the fish you have a live bearers, so they will breed and give birth, are they all females? or all males? or a combo? And if it is a combo you need to make sure that it is 1 male to every 2 females at least.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks so much for the response! I do have a filter and a heater. I have a combo of female and male. The ratio is 7 to 1 .( 7 being female).

Also about cleaning the filter..
I have a power filter ( Top Fin 20) that comes with a carbon bag and a bio sponge for the bacteria. It has been almost a month since the start of my aquarium and I want to know how to thoroughly, and properly clean it out. Thanks so much for your help:lol:

·
Registered
321 Posts
For my filters I usually leave the actual filter alone, and just clean/remove the cartridges, my understanding is that there are 2 parts to it, so I would only replace one at a time, so that the cycle doesn't get removed. If there is only one then just replace the cartridge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you clean the carbon and the bio filter? And how? With regular water? Or with old aquarium water? Please give me all the details. Thanks guppie luvor!!

Ps. Your aquarium setup sounds awesome!! :-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts