Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the first plant I ever got was a cute little cryptocoryne sprig from petco. Now though, a few years and many re-scapings later, it is a massive plant with a root system that sprals across the entire floor of my 10g aquarium. I have been tryingto improve the aquascape in here but it is super difficult with this dense, spongy mat underneath my sand. Would it be ok to trim the roots? It's a supercomplex root network, so no, I cant just pull it out and cut away the smaller roots. they're all woven together. I was thinking more like just taking a knife and cuting a circle around the plant and pulling out all the severed roots...that probably wouldnt work though, haha;)
anyway, does anybody have an idea of how I can deal with this problem? I really can't plant anything without running into or uncovering a big mat of crypt roots. any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated!
thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My substrate is a natural brown sand, and the plant has three main bunches and some speouts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is 4 inches tall and about 8 long measured from leaf to leaf:) crypts don't get tall, they just spread out everywhere haha;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that ok to do? It turns the sand all black and yucky looking underneath...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you can't see the color on top so is not an aesthetic issue really, but I was just wondering if it was bad when it turns the sand black like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh yeah, thats the other thing- I have three kuhlis tat never burrow in te sand. my theory is that the mat of roots prevents them from doing so. prehhaps when i trim my rots both problems will be solved- they will burrow and oxygenate te sand, the the blackening wont be as bad and all the plants will be healthier with the added mixing of the substrate :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they don't???? all the ones at the lfs were burried in the gravel...doesnt mean its natural, but they were!
huh...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.