Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted a thread not too long ago in here where I've had issues with Hydra in a shrimp tank, which I have treated using fenbendazole powder and had an immediate positive effect that wipes the hydra off my tank, but after that, just a day after the treatment, vorticella suddenly appeared in my tank and have already infected some of my shrimp. I don't know how did it got there so fast, and I still have no idea on how to remove them in my tank and in my shrimp altogether. Any idea?
Plant Light Leaf Sunlight Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I tried dosing my tank with fenbendazole again after I had it dosed a day ago for hydra treatment hoping that it will also kill vorticella. A shrimp died. I did Immediate water change to lower the risk of others dying too. Lesson learned: Fenbendazole does not work and always give your tank a week to recover first before starting a new treatment.

So I did my research and I choose to refer to this following articles for treating vorticella in my tank.

Shrimp Vorticella Parasite. Treatment - Shrimp and Snail Breeder (aquariumbreeder.com)
Planted Nano Aquarium - Vorticella protozoa outbreak and how to fix it - GIFs - Imgur

The obvious option here is using API Pimafix. I already ordered mine online since the local fish shop doesn't have them, I'll just wait for it to arrive to start my treatment and see if the above method works. The ideal dose for every gallon of water is 0.5ml based on the articles above. Given everyday in a span of 1 week or 7 days. Since I have a 10 gallon tank, I will be dosing it with 5ml everyday for 7 Days then do a 50% water change at the end of the treatment.

Here's a picture of my infected tank and a shrimp with a vorticella attach to its head;

Plant Water Green Nature Leaf

Natural environment Insect Organism Arthropod Vegetation

Insect Arthropod Twig Pest Parasite

This is still to be consider a mild case of vorticella but if this remains untreated after an extended period of time, it could eventually kill my shrimps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After Day 3 into treatment, the population of vorticella has dropped significantly. 1 shrimp died on Day 1 of treatment tho, so after that, whenever I dose my tank with API Pimafix, I put on extra aeration on my tank and let it run for a few hours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stopped the treatment after Day 5 as all vorticella in my tank is gone. I will not be finishing the treatment to 7 days because first, the vorticella is gone, second is it greatly stresses everyone in the tank. 2 Shrimps died during the process and surprisingly all snails are fine which in my case, I have ramshorn and bladder.

Those who managed to survive became less active during the treatment, specially the snails. In conclusion, using API Pimafix for Vorticella treatment in a shrimp tank sure is effective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts