Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm fairly sure my tank has Ich (little white spots on my cories, look like they rolled in salt, and their fins are tattered. No flashing, though).

I haven't finished stocking my aquarium (a month or two old, fully cycled and planted), but was planning on getting two honey gouramis. Is it best to treat for Ich now, or get the gouramis and then treat the tank? I don't want to stress my fish out by treating the tank for two weeks now, only to have the new gouramis bring more ich in with them.

Also - what is the best treatment for a tank with plants and shrimp? Salt/heat (bit worried cories won't like the heat and plants won't like the salt) or medicine with malachite green and formalin (will this kill shrimp?)?

Or am I jumping the gun? I could just leave the tank as is and see if it all settles down? Cories look pretty unwell, though.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Your best bet is to treat the existing tank using the heat method without adding the new fish. Cories and your plants will not appreciate the salt. Slowly raise the temp. in the tank to around 86F and leave it there for about 10 days. Add an airstone to the tank to help oxygenate the water while the heat is raised. After that length of time, slowly return the heat to normal.
25% daily water changes with a gravel vac. would also be a good idea.

For any new fish I'd set up a bare bottom quarantine tank before adding to your main tank. This is always a good idea whether or not the new fish "look" ok. Better to be safe than sorry and not add any potential disease to your main tank. I quarantine for a minimum of a month but I know folks do it for less time. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 3 weeks or so.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Hi Romad,

Thanks for your advice! I will definitely fix the current problem before getting new fish, and will get a quarantine tank for next time.

Unfortunately, so far three out of the five corys I bought on Friday have died, with one of the remaining two showing the same symptoms. I was googling all day, and found a forum where someone posted a picture of a panda cory that looked exactly like my sick ones. His local fish shop told him it wasn't Ich, but was a fungus. That poster treated his tank with some sort of industrial anti-fungal, and that fixed the problem.

So, I don't have serious anti-fungal medicine, but do have Pimafix. I treated the whole tank.

I've moved the spray bar higher, because I understand that Pimafix affects the amount of oxygen in the tank.

Hopefully this fixes my fish! It's been a sad weekend, panda corys were the reason I set up an aquarium, and they barely lasted three days. Hopefully the remaining ones pull through. One of them is really sparky, always snuffling around for food, cute little guy.

Here's the post with the picture that looks like my fish - http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/please-help-diagnose-my-panda-cory-90241/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update:

Treating for fungus didn't help - remaining sick cory died after a week of pima/melafix. But I found another internet thread, with a picture of an almost identical cory suffering illness, and instead of fungus they identified it as skin flukes.

So, after the sick cory mentioned above died, my final two corys started showing the same symptoms. Two of my 8 harlequin rasboras were also showing symptoms - opaque, white fins and gills, clamped fins, some flashing.

I treated the tank with a dose of Blue Planet's Paracide. It was more than a half dose, less than a full dose, spread over two days.

It's been four days now (bottle says treat for 7, then repeat) and the two corys look much better! No longer fuzzy and listless, they swim all over the tank and spend all their time looking for food.

Harlequin's don't really look better yet, but I'm hopeful that they will by the end of the treatment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts