Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw all the posts on how good black gravel looks and went to Petsmart. I had previously gotten blue and orange Top Fin for another tank. Colander rinsing those colors with tank temp water (76F) yielded good results. It did not take very long and maybe 1/16 fell out the small holes (so not to clog my under-gravel filter system.)

Black started out similar but has turned into a very different tale. Rinsing took a little longer (turned a little bit of my cuticles black,) but finally ran clear. Put the tank together and started fishless cycling. I had picked up the 46G bowfront acrylic used. It had a 1 inch wide slight haze band maybe an inch up from the bottom. He had Seachem glued plants there but it did not bother me. Within a week the slight haze had grown, and the water had a black tint. Long suffering sigh...I took the tank back apart, put the gravel in a really useful box in my tub. Soak/rinse, soak/rinse...I lost count at 20ish. It is still tinting the water within an hour.

My tap water has a very low pH and scores 2 to 3 on both API hardness tests.

I know white vinegar sets dye on clothes but would that work for a wet application? I have enough Seachem neutral regulator to treat it afterwards.

Then I saw some dark gravel at Home Depot. $3.80 for a 50lb bag...Would this be to sharp? I am a danio, cory, gourami, guppy, molly fan.

Tips, tricks, suggestions please? I have attached photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

Boiling hot water and a box of baking soda did the trick. Left to soak over night and the water was almost black the next morning. Put a strainer in the drain and ran the shower on cold to rinse. Filled the tub with warm water and left to soak. The water was clear the next morning. Scooped it all into a R U B with 1/4 cup Safe and 1/8 cup of Neutral Regulator (accidentally bough a life time supply of both.) Ignoring it until I finish polishing off the film it left on the tank.

Magic eraser got it off the tub.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts