Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Okay, I know this is an old, worn out subject that everyone has an opinion on... but I'm going to ask anyways. I aquired an established 56 gal tall aquarium from a fellow fish enthusiast about 1 month ago. My details are as follows:

Planted - amazon swords and ripple swords
Temp - about 78 to 80 degrees
Filtration - Marineland HOT Magnum
Water Changes - 30% weekly to bi weekly
Substrate - sand and shale
My Lovelies - 1 Whiptail Catfish, 1 Male Betta, 4 loaches, 1 flower/bamboo/wood shrimp, 1 small goldfish, 5 mollies, 15 guppies, ~10 ghost shrimp

Until about 3 days ago (2/7/15) all of the fish would stay in the top 3 inches of the water column (except for the whip and loaches). They just swam about nervously and never really ventured about the tank. I told my local petstore about it and the guy who's been there since before I was born suggested putting salt in the water - 2 tbsp per 10 gallons. I decided it was worth a shot and I disolved the salt into a jar of water and mixed it into the aquarium. Within 5 minutes my fish pretty much came to life! They started perking up, swiming through all the plants, exploring the whole tank like they never had.

It's been 3.5 days and they're still doing great and I've been researching as much as possible into the salt in the aquarium thing but all I can find is yes/no yes/no yes/no back and forth between people. Does anyone have any scholarly articles or solid proof either way? I'm leaning towards continuing to salt my tank because of how active and perky my fish and shrimp have become. It's a world of difference.

The local pet store I get my fish from salts their tanks; at least 1 tbsp per 10 gallons and 2 tbsp per 10 gallons for some tanks. This lead me to beileve that they must have gotten used to those conditions. It's a small pet store and I wouldn't have thought that they had been there long enough for it to make that much of a difference, but you never know.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use salt from time to time, like when a fish is sick or I notice a fish hurt its self. I have alot of plants in my tanks so I only use as needed.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
It's a personal preference. There is no real scientific proof for one way or the other. I personally don't use salt because I keep African Dwarf frogs and all around soft-water fish which do not tolerate sodium chloride as much as hard water fish do.

Worth a note: no freshwater is truly void of any salt. The only water that is, comes from R/O or DI water.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Some fish don't handle salt well. I know Ram cichlids (soft water fish) don't do to well if salt is in high concentrations. However, adding salt to my African cichlid (hard water fish) tank in the past made a world of difference in the health and activity of the fish.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I don't add any salt to my tanks. I recall reading some where that catfish don't like salt and all my tanks have some sort of catfish. I could have been told wrong but it has never been a issue for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts