Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any? My little ones are starting to grow up and i was thinking of cutting some of the stems with bigger leaves so they can get more light. Can you split these at the rhizome and thus have 2 plants? If you cut the stem will it grow back? What about if i cut ONE leaf off bc it is brown and dying, will it come back? Thanks guys. Any tips are much appreciated

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
You can divide Java Fern by cutting the rhizome (the thick stem/root from which the leaves grow and the fine roots grow. Have a couple of nodes on each cut piece of the rhizome; nodes are the points from which the leaves grow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i must have a different kind of java fern bc i have stems coming from the rhizome then the leaves look similar to leaves you would see on a tree

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
i must have a different kind of java fern bc i have stems coming from the rhizome then the leaves look similar to leaves you would see on a tree
Sounds like Anubias. Both Anubias and Java Fern are in our profiles with photos, check them [click the shaded names].

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
It mentions in the profile here of Microsorum pteropus that this plant occurs with varying leaf forms naturally, but that shown in your photos is one I have never come across. But that doesn't mean it isn't the same species, or probably more likely it may be one of the more than 50 species in this genus. The leaf structure is certainly very similar to M. pteropus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts