Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am interested in setting up a small 2-3 gallon fish tank on my desk. Which species of fish would be most suitable for such a small sized tank? How many fishes can live in a 2-3 gallon tank (and how big)?

I also understand that I should avoid undergravel filtration and instead replace it with a power filter. What type of gravel is suitable?

Would it be possible to raise fishes in such a tank and create a relatively easy environment for them to bred? Which types breed easiest?

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
ok

3 gallon tank, the best things to put here are shrimp, i wouldnt get fish since it will be hard to take care of requiring daily water changes and high awareness. 2 gallon tank and shrimp can work as well. You can successfully breed shrimp in a tank this small, with a mossy shrimp bed you can watch the little baby shrimp grow up and maybe feed them to your main tank or sell them to your lfs. I wouldnt suggest a betta, in a tank of this size they can be classified as "boring"

Use a sponge filter or get a pico filter

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
5 gallons could possibly fit 3, male only, guppies or one betta (male or female, doesnt matter) But you will need to do good frequent water changes. A long shallow tank is best for these fish.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
the general rule is 1 gallon = 1 inch fish but its not 100% bomb-proof. for example you wouldnt put a one inch fish in a 1 gallon tank as thats just too small for any fsh. once you get to a minimum tank size of 10g or something like that then the rule is pretty good. some folk swear by it, i just use it as a guideline but i wouldn't really exceed it.

its a 12g tank so you could go for a school of 10-12 neons or maybe 6-8 guppies perhaps. if youre looking for colour and activity then the neons would be a good bet. im a great fan of cories and so would maybe put 4 or 5 cories in there but a lot of folk arent keen on them for a species tank as they tend to be bottom dwellers therefore not as "exciting" as others.

alternatively if you were keen on a betta then he/she would fit nicely into a 12g tank with a couple of cories, shrimp or snails

let us know what you decide on :)

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
that is a very good tank those eclipse systems. The inch per gallon rule is something i sort of follow, im more of a surface area and filtration guy, also the inch per gallon works only for long short fish and with tall fish, you need to calculate the mass of the fish.

How about a school of 6 neon tetras, 4 pygmy cories and possibly one or 2 male guppies? This is following the 1 inch per gallon rule. Using some planted tank gravel and get some hardy plants since that light permits the addition of plants but only hardy low light plants.
If you are a strong animal rights believer you can make the tank a betta tank (i find people who keep bettas in 10 gallon + tanks very nice since most of the time people buy them in 1/16 of a quart and expect them to live.) Also in a tank that big for 1 betta it will really stretch out its fins and swim very happily which most people love bettas for. Theres also a chance you can have a dwarf puffer species tank, there more of a challenge to take care of but can be fun little things to take care of. http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/ theres a website dedicated to dwarf puffers.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
too true!

its a misconception that bettas are boring fish - theyre not at all. its just that all too often they are not given the room to swim about and be entertaining to watch. like musho said, give them 10g+ and theyll stretch their fins and are beautiful fish. its really unfair to put them in small tubs as i wouldnt even call them tanks and expect them to swim about and "entertain us".

what kind of fish were you thinking about? were you more interested in a small school or one or 2 flashier fish?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys!

I think I'm going to settle with the Eclipse 6 gallon tank system. I'd love to get a bigger one, but I can't... :(. It's not about the gallon size but the space it occupies on a desk/table.

And the elipse seems pretty good because all the filtration and such is all under the hood so there's no protrusion and such! if you can recommend another tank please do so!

I suppose I can fit roughly 1/2 the number of fishes both of you recommended? Would I be able to raise two species instead of just one?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My two bettas are crazy enough in their 1 gallons (they are getting upgrade soon, I just got a hand me down tank and gravel from a friend.) You could fit tetras in there! I dont follow the 1 gallon to 1 fish rule, or inch rule with the smaller ones. Regular and black neons both stay small, you can fit 18 into that tank at the max, they have small bioload and are very easy to care for. With bigger tetras, like black skirts then maybe 6-8 will be good, probaly less as they get 3"-4". I dunno, mine havent matured yet so im still guessing on their needed tank size. But 12 neons (black or regular) with some cories looks great, just enough movement at top and middle and bottom.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
no what we were talking about was 10 gallons +. You could fit 1 betta in there, its a lot nicer than bowls and they probably will stretch there fins etc. Or you could have 4 male guppies. Thats pretty much all there is that you can have..... i wouldnt suggest a school of tetras as 6 gallons is a bit too small for them, no tetras below 10 gallons

do you also know the wieght of a 6 gallon tank, there pretty heavy so not all desk spaces can carry them. Its about 70 pounds of water plus the gravel, filter, light, ornaments, your pushing a lot of weight there.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
yes and no. it depends entirely on what 2 species you were thinking about. since neons have been mentioned - neons are schooling fish and tend to fade away when in groups of less than 6. a 6g tank would fit 6 neons but i wouldnt recommend anything else simply because its not adviseable to have less than 6 and anymore would be overcrowding. neons do mix with other fish but not in this case.

you could maybe have something like 3 cories and 2 guppies, or a betta and a few cories. if youre not keen on bottom dwellers than maybe a betta and 2 female guppies. male guppies with bettas isnt recommended as bettas can be threatened by guppies fancy tails and are known to attack and kill them.

ive never had a female betta - perhaps she would do fine with male guppies as she wouldnt see them as competition for a mate but im not sure if she would still be likely to attatck them or not. perhaps somebody else could shed some light on this???

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
juliewiegand said:
yes and no. it depends entirely on what 2 species you were thinking about. since neons have been mentioned - neons are schooling fish and tend to fade away when in groups of less than 6. a 6g tank would fit 6 neons but i wouldnt recommend anything else simply because its not adviseable to have less than 6 and anymore would be overcrowding. neons do mix with other fish but not in this case.

you could maybe have something like 3 cories and 2 guppies, or a betta and a few cories. if youre not keen on bottom dwellers than maybe a betta and 2 female guppies. male guppies with bettas isnt recommended as bettas can be threatened by guppies fancy tails and are known to attack and kill them.

ive never had a female betta - perhaps she would do fine with male guppies as she wouldnt see them as competition for a mate but im not sure if she would still be likely to attatck them or not. perhaps somebody else could shed some light on this???
no cories in a tank this small, even the pygmy and dwarf species.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would White Cloud Mountain Minnows be active in such a small tank?

If so, I'm hoping to be able to have a few of these along with another type so the fishes would be swimming all over the place (bottom and mid-top dwellers).

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
unlimitedx said:
Would White Cloud Mountain Minnows be active in such a small tank?

If so, I'm hoping to be able to have a few of these along with another type so the fishes would be swimming all over the place (bottom and mid-top dwellers).
They'll need a lot of swimming space unfortunately. You might be better off for a betta or a trio of male guppies.:) Even dwarf puffers will also serve to be a good option as long as you can maintain stable water parameters.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
unlimitedx said:
How about 1 male and 1 female guppy?
Recommended sex ratio is one male to 2-3 females. You won't want the female guppies. They certainly will breed and well-fed parents will never eat the fry at the expense of stretching the bioload beyond its limits.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the tip!

I guess my whole goal is to get a few fishes that are showy (lots of movement and interesting to look at), and it seems like guppies are the way to go?

Are there any other recommended types?

I really do want to have to 2 types of fishes instead of one...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts