Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
Leeches!!!

Don't laugh. Standard medical leeches are cheap, attractive (seen under light with magnification), interesting behaviors, (especially a pair--- they're hermaphrodites; any two will do). Very easy to keep; not water of temp sensitive. Only eat twice a year.

·
Reference Team
1,000 Posts
I keep two medical leeches in a .3g bowl (with a tight cover!). My last pair lasted for over two years. That's about as long as they live in the wild. Just marbles for substrate. They prefer mud/sand; I prefer to see them. They like it darkish.

Two will interact, sometimes intimately. They're fun to watch if you have time--- a little like snakes in that regard. Sometimes they get really active and fast. They swim backward and forward equally well. Ain't that a hoot?

They look dull dark olive/brown, but put a light on them and you can see the bright-blue racing stripe with orange borders. Some species are quite beautiful.

They've been around longer than dinosaurs and live everywhere but Antarctica.

Feeding them twice a year takes a little courage initially, but it's very satisfying in a macabre sort of way.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but the question was what to do with a small tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.