Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
So I Decided it was time to introduce myself since I'm finding myself scrolling around reading and learning ect.. more and more.
My name is Liz and I'm from MA and live about 15min North of Boston.
Growing up I always had an aquarium with either fish or newts, frogs, turtles ect. Then when I purchased my first townhouse I bought my own tank. Which was a disaster. So I took a long break and got to a point of never thinking Id own one again. Until a few years ago my son asked for a tadpole for Xmas. and that's when I began really learning about the hobby.
My son currently has a 15 gallon tank in his bedroom with 2 feeder goldfish that we bought to start his 5 gallon tank. Needless to say the frog has passed and the .19 cent goldfish are doing great.
A few months later my mom asked me if I'd like to have my Uncles fish that he inherited and of course I said yes and that was the beginning of what has become a small obsession....:D
My Uncle came over with a 15 gallon tank and 3 fish that I had never seen before nor heard of. He set the tank up, went over a few things and said good luck!! First thing I noticed was they liked to eat and they were freaking fast. Second, which freaked me out at first was that well, as I watched them they stopped and watched me. Lol. I knew nothing about Cichlids. Had no clue how to even pronounce Cichlids. I did know by the end of the day that when the kids went to school the next day, I was going to the pet store to buy a bigger tank. They were WAY to active to be in that tank and you could tell they were going to kill eachother eventually.
So I went out and purchased a 30gallon..... Which lasted a month before I bought a 60gallon. Which I now consider my grow out tank because well I personally find watching my fish interact and live extremely interesting and they can't really do that in a 60 gallon. They try but most days they swim around trying to figure out what real estate they want and who to chase ect..
So I'm now planning before rushing to the store and buying which is a first for me. Lol. I find myself visiting more and more out of intrest and to keep learning.
I honestly never thought I'd ever be so intrigued by these guys and girls. Maybe it's because my youngest started school and I've got time to myself during school hrs. Idk but I do know that I'm hooked (no pun intended) and I look forward to chatting with everyone and getting others advice as I start to build my last tank!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's an amazing looking tank. Have fun searching the forums and learning stuff.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
New England represent! haha
Hello from southern RI!

Have you heard of the Boston Aquarium Society? They're a great club and part of the NEC (Northeast Council for Aquarium Societies) as all of our clubs are. But we have auctions and such a few times a year if you don't mind traveling! We have tons of Cichlids come up in our fish Auctions here in RI, our next auction will be March 10th at 12pm (1303 Mendon Rd. Cumberland, RI) if you don't mind traveling about an hour or so! It's right on the border of Mass so shouldn't be too bad for you if you were to come check it out!

Just a mention on the goldfish though, they do get to be about a foot long. A lot of people will tell you that their bodies only grow to the size of the tank, which is partially correct. The bodies stop growing but the organs do not which means that they will die prematurely because they've suffocated themselves >.< It's just one of the myths out there, there are so many surrounding Betta's and Goldfish unfortunately! So, you can either keep them until they've grown more and give them to someone who has a pond, or upgrade to a 50/55 for them. Fancy goldfish can be housed one in a 20 gallon long because they have shorter bodies and need extra heat. Regular goldfish like yours, needs more like 40 gallons for one goldfish because they get so long :) Just something to look for, for the future!

But welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay :-D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe I'll come from Washington State. It shouldn't take to long maybe a week or two. LOL

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Ride that jet stream

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm on my way!!

getting ready to start out on the long drive.suited up with road goggles( keeps the mud out of my eyes:nerd: road rage:argue: I forgot the kitchen sink:surprise:road sickness starting in:sick2: road sickness in full force:vomit: finally there:welldone:starting back:crying:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tank and fish are looking great in your pic! Do you have any plans for how the new tank will look and will it be a planted tank?
Thank you sorry for the late reply. School kids lol. We are soon to be adding onto our house and I drew the plans to give to our architect, My tank now has alot of slate in it and I'd love to stack all the way to the top but I'd most likely end up with the tank through the floor. Lol.
I'm lucky that I have access to basically any hardscaped I want through my Bf landscaping company. So I've got piles of slate that I've been breaking, chipping and sanding to have it ready. I'd love to do some sort of moss. I've been looking online at the lakes and I love the natural look of it growing on the rocks. I also found some pictures of some sort of trees? That are partially in the waters. I start to think to much and my head goes nuts. I also start messing with my tanks and my fish look at me like WTH are you doing now. Most of them are so used to me in there they are like cats and follow me to see what I'm doing lol.
At the moment though I'm trying to figure out sorting cause some are maturing and will need to be seperated. Someone at the moment is throwing sand, I can hear it hitting the glass. Lol
What do you keep?
And thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New England represent! haha
Hello from southern RI!

Have you heard of the Boston Aquarium Society? They're a great club and part of the NEC (Northeast Council for Aquarium Societies) as all of our clubs are. But we have auctions and such a few times a year if you don't mind traveling! We have tons of Cichlids come up in our fish Auctions here in RI, our next auction will be March 10th at 12pm (1303 Mendon Rd. Cumberland, RI) if you don't mind traveling about an hour or so! It's right on the border of Mass so shouldn't be too bad for you if you were to come check it out!

Just a mention on the goldfish though, they do get to be about a foot long. A lot of people will tell you that their bodies only grow to the size of the tank, which is partially correct. The bodies stop growing but the organs do not which means that they will die prematurely because they've suffocated themselves >.< It's just one of the myths out there, there are so many surrounding Betta's and Goldfish unfortunately! So, you can either keep them until they've grown more and give them to someone who has a pond, or upgrade to a 50/55 for them. Fancy goldfish can be housed one in a 20 gallon long because they have shorter bodies and need extra heat. Regular goldfish like yours, needs more like 40 gallons for one goldfish because they get so long :) Just something to look for, for the future!

But welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay :-D
I have heard of them yes and Im actually 45 min away from were it will be held. I'll put the date in my phone. There's one LFS that sells mature cichlids but they are pricey and at this point I wouldn't feel right trying the juveniles. I lucked out last time, I purchased 6 and I knew they were small but it wasn't until I got home and next to mine that I thought oh no this might not be good. Thankfully though they pay them no mind and the larger guys can't reach them in certain areas anyways. That being said I'd love to go. Have to remeber to put some money aside!
As far as the goldfish, I found that out online regarding tank size for them and I was shocked to say the least. These 2 are prob 2 inches long not even. They don't seem to be growing anymore. How long can it take them to grow to full size? ? If they are already stunted what should I do? I have a biowheel on that tank and I do 30% water changes every other day. I will look for a larger tank, my son would never allow us giving them away, he's 9 and taking an intrest in the hobby. He's actually obsessed with one of our Peacocks because I think she's holding, so everyday he needs an update on her status and when I'm removing her so her and the fry are safe. He already watches to much YouTube. Lol.
Thank you for the info!! And I imagine we will chat again.
And yes New England or Yankee' s. Lol. I'd imagine your not blessed with a WICKED beautiful Boston accent though. Lol Thankfully I don't hear it!
Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
I have heard of them yes and Im actually 45 min away from were it will be held. I'll put the date in my phone. There's one LFS that sells mature cichlids but they are pricey and at this point I wouldn't feel right trying the juveniles. I lucked out last time, I purchased 6 and I knew they were small but it wasn't until I got home and next to mine that I thought oh no this might not be good. Thankfully though they pay them no mind and the larger guys can't reach them in certain areas anyways. That being said I'd love to go. Have to remeber to put some money aside!
As far as the goldfish, I found that out online regarding tank size for them and I was shocked to say the least. These 2 are prob 2 inches long not even. They don't seem to be growing anymore. How long can it take them to grow to full size? ? If they are already stunted what should I do? I have a biowheel on that tank and I do 30% water changes every other day. I will look for a larger tank, my son would never allow us giving them away, he's 9 and taking an intrest in the hobby. He's actually obsessed with one of our Peacocks because I think she's holding, so everyday he needs an update on her status and when I'm removing her so her and the fry are safe. He already watches to much YouTube. Lol.
Thank you for the info!! And I imagine we will chat again.
And yes New England or Yankee' s. Lol. I'd imagine your not blessed with a WICKED beautiful Boston accent though. Lol Thankfully I don't hear it!
Thanks!!
Ahha, nah, I've got the Rhode Island accent; losing the 'r's occasionally and I still say "wicked" quite a bit! Plus, love me some coffee ice cream or coffee milk! ;-)

Have you heard of Tropic Isle? I think it's a bit out of the way for you though, it's in Framingham, MA. It's about an hour and a half from me but I visit on occasion, beautiful store. It's a bit pricey but they typically have pretty much everything you can dream of. Them, Uncle Ned's Fish Factory in Millis, MA, and the Underwater Discount Fish store in Silver City Galleria in Taunton, MA are the only stores I know of up there.

On the goldfish, it usually takes roughly a year to hit full maturity size. They should grow pretty quick in the first half of the year and slow a bit towards the end of the year. They will continue to grow after that year of course to fill out.

Once you get a bigger tank for them, they should have a nice growth spurt and continue to grow as space allows them to. Lots of protein in their food at this stage and veggies to help them pass their food. Goldfish don't have stomachs so they need lots of fiber to help everything through ^_^

Because they're regular goldfish and not fancies, they don't need a heater so you don't need to worry about that. But yes, lots and lots of filtration are needed because goldfish are messy little buggers! Both in eating and mostly, pooping. They're made to graze on plants all day long in the wild. You can use dried seaweed for food as well. Do you still have the 30 gallon open to use? If so, get them into there and that should help out tremendously!

The 20 gallon plus 10 for every goldfish after doesn't apply as well for the common goldfish since they get much bigger than the fancies do. So, ideally you should get a 30 gallon for one and 20 more gallons for every goldfish after roughly. So, a 55 would be alright for the two commons. So, you can upgrade as you go or get a bigger tank, even a 40Breeder might be okay for some time. I know it's a pain and certainly none of us are made of money (unfortunately lol) but when you can, when you upgrade that will definitely help out the growing issue.

Also, are you sure they're 15 gallons? It's quite an odd size to find! They aren't overly rare but definitely less common than the 10s or 20 highs ^_^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts