Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting this off for years, I want one but I keep telling myself to wait. But I'm tired of waiting and I know the sooner I get one the sooner he will be full grown. I have read these guys take a while to grow to their full size so I'm expecting to wait 2-3 years for full size.

I his home will be my 150 gallon tank. Right now the tank has 2 Oscars (4-5 months old so babies) and a pleco (6"-7" long) so should be lots of room left for a Bichir and he won't be able to eat these guys because of the size. But I do have to worry about the Oscars eating him so I might put him in a 55g until he is big enough to move over.

Anyone know any reason why this could be a bad idea?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The Bichir is an awesome fish and a ton of fun. I would consider putting it in the 55 as a species tank, with a few large schooling fish, rather than housing it with Oscars. The Bichir will be much more enjoyable in a more heavily planted display where it has places to hide and display normal behaviors. Oscar tanks are usually void of decorations because they need the space to swim, so the Bichir won't display all the normal behaviors you'd enjoy in a species tank.

But, I see no problems in putting them together so long as the Bichir is big enough to not look like food.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the hiding places for the Bichir. I have a good bit of driftwood in the tank and I will be adding more so they get a lot of spaces to hide. Keeping the top half open for the Oscars to swim, but as slow as they grow it could change.

I do have two 55g tanks both are very lightly stocked because they become catch all tanks for fish that don't fit in my other tanks. I could turn one of those into a Bichir tank, will need to look and see if I can house two together.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some times I hate the local stores. I don't like ordering fish online I would rather buy them local even if it is form a big chain store. The two times I have order fish online it turned out bad and they all died. The biggest chain store in the city (with 3 stores within 10 miles of me) doesn't have any in stock, they get shipments on Tuesday but can't tell me if they are getting any or not. The local owned stores do have any and it will be over a week before they can get any if they can even get them. So as much as I don't want to I might be ordering online.

Maybe this is why I haven't every gotten a Bichir before.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to get a Bichir last week. I think I'm going to keep him in the 55g tank and make that his own. I have a nice wire top for it so no chance for him to escape. I will need to find him some tank mates at some point but no hurry.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I was able to get a Bichir last week. I think I'm going to keep him in the 55g tank and make that his own. I have a nice wire top for it so no chance for him to escape. I will need to find him some tank mates at some point but no hurry.
Nice! Would love to see pics when you have a chance to post them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two of these buggers! LOVE them! very curious fish and surprisingly active (well at least one is). my tank deco is still a bit of a work in progress but the little rock cave i created for them and my sward plant is enough for them it seems now. have had mine a little over a year and they are about 7-8inch. they are in a 90 gal at the moment. i'm thinking of making a tank one day and getting some of the larger species of bichir. kinda toying around with the idea with getting another one with more color though it will need to be a smaller spices but i think it might be a bit much for the size of the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was very surprised how active mine is, most of the info I read said they never come out or stay under stuff. Mine swims all over the tank and most of the time when I'm in the room. But as most people have found out soon as I got my camera he started hiding I did get one photo not great.

When I got him he was about 3"-3.5" now he is 5-6" and twice as big around. I can see him hitting the 8-9" mark by the end of a year.

bichir.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
my two are opposites. the (female i think) hides most of the time or keeps to the bottom. the male (i think) is all over the place and extremely outgoing. if im cleaning the glass i have the molly arm hair removal team poking at me and sometimes the male will come up and "sniff" at me. though i move away from him lol. he may have sharp teeth XD!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My goal is to make a monster tank with some of the larger bichirs in it. and then the green sunfish needs an upgrade as well. he is living in the tank of shame at the moment because he is an jerk who eats his friends.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh, when you're on a page that shows all the threads, there will be a button up top that says, 'start new thread' or something like that. That's your bet. Just make sure you're in the right category, otherwise the mods will move it on you and you'll have to find your own thread again :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts