Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2 cichlids I need to bring home are roughly 1.5-2" and I can only get a 20gal tank for now. How long can they stay in that tank? What about a 30 or 40gal tank? I realize they'll need a lot more space overall, but right now it just isn't possible.
Also, are there any fish that could help clean up their mess while they're in the 20gal, or is that just way too small for it to be a possibility?

These are not the type of fish I would have liked to start out with since they seem to be a little difficult. I don't know anyone around here that wants them though and Petsmart won't take them back. I refuse to just leave them to die at my old work :/

EDIT: A pet store in my area told me that the growth rate is similar to a ball python in that it can be somewhat controlled. He said if I only feed my fish a couple times a week they'll be fine, but they will not grow quite as fast and therefore will allow me time to get a larger tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always best to buy the right size tank and then the fish rather than the other way around.
They're in a 250gal tank right now, but the owner refuses to feed them. I didn't buy them intending to take them back after a couple months.

Craigslist isn't turning up anything right now unfortunately, but I'll keep trying.

Ok so a 20gal is clearly out of the question, but a 37gal or so may work for awhile. I will do whatever I possibly can to make sure the water is clean and they're healthy. I only need them to be in this tank (or slightly larger) for 6 months. After that, I can buy a much larger tank because I'll have my own house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.