Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tiger Barbs - Should I add fish to reduce aggressive behavior?

I have four tiger barbs. Since I bought them, three have hung together and one smaller one has been more distant. There is a lot of aggression between two of the barbs (possibly males?). To reduce the aggression and increase the schooling would it be advisable to add additonal barbs? My tank info is listed here and my paras yesterday were ph6.6, nh 0, no 0, nitrates unavailable since new test kit had the wrong reagents.

Any advise would be helpful and thank you for all the great information all of you have shared. I have learned sooo much!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tiger barbs are not good for the community tank. They can also get very nasty and kill each other if left in a school of lest than six. My advice is to move them to a tank by themselves and add more tiger barbs.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
First, I've moved this thread out of characins and into cyprinids, as all babs are Cyprinids.

Quick answer to your question is, yes. If you check the profile [click on the shaded name, Tiger Barb] it mentions that this species is naturally feisty and is therefore best in larger groups of no less than 8 and preferably even more. You have a 55g tank, so there is room for more; I would get another 6-7.

[Now, I assume you really do want this fish in your tank? Because if you don't, getting more is not the way to go; getting rid of the ones you have (back to the store or whatever) is better then.]

Edit: The previous post came along as I was typing. I tend to agree, but as this is a 55g tank (4-feet in length) and if the OP is careful with tankmates, this should be OK. I believe we have discussed his fish in another thread... rings a bell anyway.

Byron.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I've got them in mine with no problems at all. It's all in the numbers and compatability. I've got 8 of them in with 8 Boesmani Rainbows and other tetras. Each group holds their own with no aggression towards each other or the other species.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have observed these barbs carefully because of their rep. They are not aggressive toward the other fish in the tank. Only within their own kind.

Yes, Byron, I have asked this question before but never gotten an answer.

I have become quite fond of them because of their color, behavior and group swimming style. They seem to do OK in this tank.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Reasons why Tiber Barbs are not good community fish:

1.Tiger Barbs are ravenous feeders that will eat anything and leave no food for less aggressive feeders, unless you over feed the Tiger Barbs.

2. Tiger Barbs can get quite large and will kill each other if they don't have enough room. A school of 8-10 (the minimum recommended school) will get large enough for a 55 gallon aquarium by themselves.

3. Tiger Barbs will attempt to eat anything that is slow moving and small enough for them to attack, such as smaller tetras or even medium sized tetras and live bearers.

4. Tiger Barbs are totally incompatible with dwarf, medium-sized or large cichlids. They will hide and cower from the cichlids and be totally stressed.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I would not put tiger barbs in a community tank. Sorry Byron.
Don't be sorry this time...I happen to agree with you. But every time I say this on here, one or more other members will jump on me.:argue:

Reactions: earthgirl

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hummm,
I guess I got my answer. Thank you, all.

I am going to have to make rearrangement decisions for my whole tank since there are several mismatches.
This was one of my original questions that did not get answered. These clarifications will fill in the blanks.
Unfortunately, I have become fond of the ones that I am going to have to separate.:-(

I'm sorry that everyone jumps on you, Byron. It is apparent to this newbie that you have a lot of experience and knowledge. Thanks

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Hummm,
I guess I got my answer. Thank you, all.

I am going to have to make rearrangement decisions for my whole tank since there are several mismatches.
This was one of my original questions that did not get answered. These clarifications will fill in the blanks.
Unfortunately, I have become fond of the ones that I am going to have to separate.:-(

I'm sorry that everyone jumps on you, Byron. It is apparent to this newbie that you have a lot of experience and knowledge. Thanks
Don't worry about me, I'm a pretty tough old geezer.:lol:

But to your comment about questions not answered...where is this? I'll take a look. I can't remember the details sufficiently on the former post.

Reactions: mcompagno

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Reasons why Tiber Barbs are not good community fish:

1.Tiger Barbs are ravenous feeders that will eat anything and leave no food for less aggressive feeders, unless you over feed the Tiger Barbs.

2. Tiger Barbs can get quite large and will kill each other if they don't have enough room. A school of 8-10 (the minimum recommended school) will get large enough for a 55 gallon aquarium by themselves.

3. Tiger Barbs will attempt to eat anything that is slow moving and small enough for them to attack, such as smaller tetras or even medium sized tetras and live bearers.

4. Tiger Barbs are totally incompatible with dwarf, medium-sized or large cichlids. They will hide and cower from the cichlids and be totally stressed.
I kept them in a 55 gallon community and would have to disagree with your assessment on all counts. I had no trouble getting the other fish fed, they do not get too big to displace other fish in a 55, they did not attack and eat other fish, and they did not hide or cower from the small and medium sized cichlids with which I kept them. It seems very inconsistent that these monsters you are portraying would hide and cower from cichlids. As if cichlids would even give them a second look. Not sure what kind of cichlids you've kept, but the ones that are appropriate for a community tank are not bruisers that search the tank looking for a fight - they hang low in the water, quietly going about their business....

I'm sorry that you've had such an awful experience with them - perhaps if you share the details of your experience we can figure out why it turned out that way. But it is NOT a forgone conclusion that that is how it will turn out, especially in a larger tank. That all being said, I would not suggest attempting a full community in less than a 4 foot tank. You can certainly pair them with another semi aggressive species in less, though no less than a 29.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Making adjustment decisions with a mismatched tank is confusing given everyone's experience.
Since everything seems to be ok for the time being, it seems to me I have to option of a more studied approach to moving my fish around. Adding more plants has really calmed things down.

I am going to set up at least one more tank which will be better planned with your feedback, I hope. To that end, what fish will go well with an enlarged school of tiger barbs?

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Making adjustment decisions with a mismatched tank is confusing given everyone's experience.
Since everything seems to be ok for the time being, it seems to me I have to option of a more studied approach to moving my fish around. Adding more plants has really calmed things down.

I am going to set up at least one more tank which will be better planned with your feedback, I hope. To that end, what fish will go well with an enlarged school of tiger barbs?
Our profile gives a basic suggestion for this, have a look: Tiger Barb. I can detail further if asked. And is this a 4-foot 55g tank being planned?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi....I had a school of tiger barbs about 13 in a planted community take without problems....I was a kid then, and actually had them mismatched with fish that they shouldn't have been with....but surprisingly there were no issues...it was fun watching them as they actually seemed to create a hierarchy while swimming together...it was a larger tank 120, but I think with the school, they felt less threatened and thus less behavioral problems....I maybe completely off however as again back then I was totally inexperienced....actually had a c02 accident back then that caused a tiger barb apocalypse that even years later I feel terrible about....they're great fish and entertaining, but need to be kept in larger groups and thus larger tanks...for me I dig large tanks with small fish....but that's just me...oh and to be honest, tiger barbs can get quite large...just commonly sold small...back then I feel my tank was overstocked (120 was pushing it) they however never reached their full size...:-(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts