Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new bubble coral over the weekend and it appears to have 2 "periscopes".... I'm thinking some type of hydroid or weird worm ..any Idea what the thing is on the left side sticking up?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
From a distance they look like feather duster bodies, do they have any appendages that protrude through the top? I presume they are hard to the touch and calcerous in nature? Or are they soft and pliable? Is there a way you can get a closer picture?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they retract in full and have a bulbous "head" they have a semitransparent body, kind of like the body tube of a mushroom....when the bubble is fully retracted you can even see them as they retract as well

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
If there was a means to get a better pic I could cross reference this with a friend who works at the Hatfield Marine Science center here in Oregon but from the description I am at a loss as to what it may be.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there was a means to get a better pic I could cross reference this with a friend who works at the Hatfield Marine Science center here in Oregon but from the description I am at a loss as to what it may be.
I'll zoom in on that puppy when I get home..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this end tip retracts inside of itself when disturbed? And is not part of the coral?
This is most odd indeed.
there are actually 2 of them.... this morning in the dark when fed the scallop... the bubble had it's sweepers out and one of the "periscopes " was fully extended.. the other out of sight... it has fluorescent green in it's "stalk" ... it's quite odd but does not seem to bother the bubble as you can see by it's full inflation...

sorry for the upside down picture I posted it from my mobile device.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Does your mobile device have the ability to video, can you capture it retracting? I hate to be a bother but could I ask for another pic just for added reference, before and after retracting, this one is stumping me and I have seen a lot of corals and inverts. So this would be interesting to know.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does your mobile device have the ability to video, can you capture it retracting? I hate to be a bother but could I ask for another pic just for added reference, before and after retracting, this one is stumping me and I have seen a lot of corals and inverts. So this would be interesting to know.
It's a LG6 it better be capable. It's me that lacks the knowledge...I'll try and get more pictures and a video.. but it likes to stay extended even at night..it almost look like a part of the coral...

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I was wondering that, maybe it is a means of propagation\reproduction. Many corals have alternative methods of casting out prodigy such as polyp bail out or branching when there is no room to "split". There is even a few corals, on very rare occasions, that drip a small amount of tissue with a fragment of skeletal tissue into the water current to attempt to colonize further out into the rock.

I would still love to see an extra pic or two if you got em or can get em.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look at this. ..it is getting taller notice the gap in the halves. .it is only noticeable when the water is still

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts