Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I over planted my tank with a fairly wide variety of plants figuring that either they would all take off and do well or some would and others wouldn't leaving me with a selection of plants that will work in my aquarium without having played guessing games... the shot gun approach to plant selection basically.

It would suck to have picked the three initially that would not do well only to have to start all over again.

The list as it stands initially is as follows: (in no particular order)

Java Fern
Java Moss
Dwarf Sword
Brazilian Pennywort
Green Cabomba
Amazon Sword
Crypt 1
Giant Vallisneria
Ludwigia (red)
One other yet unidentified stem... of course it's the one doing the best so I'll find out today at the LFS what it is.

For my own benefit I like to write about some of what I do and I figured that I might as well do some of that here as it pertains to plants. Maybe someone else will get something out of it or even make a suggestion to help me with something that I stumble upon.

Jeff.

That's basically what I did when I started and actually still do.

I think you will find out what works for you and your system.

my .02

ps (Is like anacharis as well)

· Registered
1,679 Posts

· Registered
1,679 Posts
My daughter just said to me, "I want to look at the tank and see plants before I see fish".

Jeff.
Your daughter is wise beyond her years. :lol:

FWIW I have heard similiar amazing things after a newbie, just starting a tank added live plants. That's always very rewarding to me anyway.

worth much more then .02

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I was putting in my new driftwood piece last night and noticed these little java moss shoots in behind the original piece. I thought it was interesting to note how they have "rooted" into the sand. These look more like a proper stem plant here than what the idea of a "moss" should be.

In pulling out some other stuff I inadvertently pulled some other java moss out and found that it had developed some roots as well. I forgot to take a shot of that but I left it in my "extra plant pail" for now anyway along with some other stems... until I decide what to do with them.

Jeff.
Aren't those anacharis?

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Well, the hatchet fish did not pan out. The shop brought them in and lost the entire batch due to some poor shipping issues. I'll have to wait until next batch and they will have to re-source them I think.

Here's a shot of the tank currently. Heavy dense mass of surface plants now reducing the light back to a little over what it was before the light was changed. Probably due for a trimming, I am sure that I have pennywort that is 10 feet long by now.

Jeff.

Jeff.

hatchetfish while cool are jumpers. But then you already know that.

I had to use egg crate to container the little buggers and keep an eye on them when I did maintenance. One always managed to "escape".

my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.