Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Administrator
5,465 Posts
Ok now you've done it!.... we need pics to see the progression. We're all addicted to that sort of thing you know!

Reactions: jentralala

· Administrator
5,465 Posts
None of the plants you listed are out of the realm of doing well together. Placement is important. For example, shade low light plants ( Javas, Crypts) with moderate light plants. The highest light plant you listed is the red ludwigia. That should be in a position to receive plenty of light.
Oh that is interesting... I suddenly had an "ah ha" moment from what you said.... :shock: Why I didn't get this before is beyond me.
I have Giant Vals in my back left corner which travel across the tank.... the plants that need the most light should be over at the right end of the tank? right? Cause it is darkest where the val's are thickest. (or cut them back, which I really don't want to do.)
Does cutting Giant Vals' back promote spreading instead? (Like cutting off the extra flowers from a pumpkin vine so one big pumpkin will grow?)

What is the best way to get your new purchases to multiply? Stem plants you grow tall and cut them and re-bunch right? But what about spreaders?

Jeff alot of buying plants seems to be trial and error but I'm following your thread hoping to learn from you here. My first planted tank too. But like you I hate seeing something melt away or get yellow/brown leaves and spots.

· Administrator
5,465 Posts
I heard that Duckweed is Goldfish and Turtle candy. I got rid of it because it got everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Now I have both a Turtle and Goldfish and I can't find it at any stores. Go figure!
What do you have in your tank? My guess also... is it is being eaten.

· Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hey JDM... I do my water changes on Day 1 and Fert on day 2 and 5. I Fert 2 x a week but I never Fert on a water change day. To my understanding de-chlorinator negates fertilizer. Wonder how your plants might grow differently if you wait a day?
Tank is looking amazing by the way!!! Thanks for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.