Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

why does this plant do so well when other plant species that are supposed to be easy fail the waters a little on the hard side is that the reson?i have 4 types of crypt all doing well ive even had flowers and i pulled some up to move them and the roots were a good foot long but i cant get java ferns or anubis to grow any ideas?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heavy sand substrate 4 types of crypt the most numerous being the ones in this shot name unknown this type has flowered the others are newer :)
ive used fert sticks on the other plants which are now gone not on these

but....ive killed
large anubis
java moss
amazon sword
vals
ricca(didnt die fish ate it)
millfiol red(fish ate it)
fairy fern(fish ate that too)
duckweed(yep that too)

and ive removed
java ferms(which are now growing very well in a different setup)
surviving anubis
unknown aqatic fern

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
light may have something to do with the javas i moved out as they are now growing well in a setup with even harder water the only difference is light the crypts have been moved around varies setups as i've worked up to this larger tank and have grown regardless of light all the water in this area comes from chalk wells and is correspondingly hard as the inside of my kettle testifies too what other minerals are present is unknown
as for anubis the one i moved out is now going nuts in another setup this setup is the only one with an ug filter and is usally higher in nitrates than the others due to its messy ocupants it also sports a pink tinted plant strip.
the single dwarf thats going back in this tank was uncrowded and at the front of the tank ive trimmed the roots as suggested and planted it with a fert stick between its roots so time will tell with that one :roll:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

one filter at one end does the work a small extra one is just full of carbon and helps move the water in a circle arond the tank :)
black=filter
green=plants
grey=rocks
yellow=sand
red=water flow
i dont move the main plants really i just move any small offshoot plants that pop up against the glass i cant help with any exact names the labels i kept simply say " Cryptocoryne species" for all of them

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cryptocoryne albida?ok it says it comes in a red leaf form id love to find that the other 2 types are the following.....same leaf form but very small grows in a carpet,the other is of the same size as the photographed plant but has long stems and oval leaves with no crinkles ill try and get some pics up :)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

was growing in a tight bunch says ground cover on the label

type 2 longer stems smaller leaves

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
never thoght of that i thoght it was just standard practice to use it :) ill put some foam in the small filter instead

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
its an elite mini its in there to create circlulation and to make bubbles as the main pump doesnt break the surface i have a small block of black foam for it anything too fine and it loses power and stops doing its job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.