Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
786 Posts
This one is unbelievable.

I do not believe that I could kill the anubias in my tank if I tried to but am struggling with the crypts*.

1) I fertilize heavily as F4A set forth.

2) I do not have any "planted" anubias as all are tied to wood or rocks.

3) I cannot tell from the photograph the composition of your substrate.

TR

*My crypts seem to be doing better since I start fertilizing with Big Al's liquid fertilizer instead of Flourish.

·
Banned
786 Posts
Sticking with the anubias (which as I said I could not kill even if I wanted to)

Have you tried them tied to wood or rock?

Also my lighting is 2 - 2x65W compacts with one bulb being dual actinic (ie. 260W total).

My tank is 110G and 30" deep.

Could either of these two be the explanation?

TR

·
Banned
786 Posts
Adding more to the mystery.

I use RO water for WC's.

My water is therefore very soft ie. typically 0-3Gh.

Also my nitrate concentration is typically less than 15.

The aunbias in the moderately shaded area grows better than the anubias which is fully shaded and than the anubias which is not shaded.

This is the information which Big Al's publishes but as I indicated earlier my crypts seem to be doing better with Big Al's liquid fert than with Flourish
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...cl0/bigalsmultipurposeplantfoodsupplement64oz

TR

·
Banned
786 Posts
crypt walkeri

and

Anubias barteri round leaf

Another plant which I could not kill if I wanted to is
Anacharis (Egeria densa).
I have a few planted but also use them as my primary floating plants (this use is not published but they do very well).

TR

·
Banned
786 Posts
I am very much enjoying the dialog in this thread.

The closest that I can come to the species of the crypts in your photograph is
Cryptocoryne albida
http://www.wschowa.com/abrimaal/araceum/cryptocoryne/albida.htm

An item which I do not remember in any of my previous posts and which may be pertinent to this thread:

I installed two air diffusion bars and one air diffusion disk in my tank for the enhanced aesthetics associated with the air bubbles (I only "run the air" occasionally).

As at night plants become oxygen consumers instead of oxygen producers I turned on the air for a week at night as well as during the day.

I noticed some, but not a significant, increase in the growth rate of my plants.

This increase may have been due to the increased carbon dioxide induction at the water surface as well as the increased oxygenation of the water due to the surface turbulence.

(I could find nothing in the literature which discussed the possibility of increased carbon dioxide induction).

TR

·
Banned
786 Posts
daisycutter said:
never thought of that i thought it was just standard practice to use it :) ill put some foam in the small filter instead
No it is not standard practice and if the carbon is older than 15 to 20 days it is no longer "activated" and is performing as biological filtration (and to a lesser extent as mechanical filtration).

I also used activated carbon for a brief period until I found the following concerning HITH disease while researching the literature:
http://www.worldcichlids.com/diseases/Adamhith.html
(I have published this link before but it has been several months since doing so).

Also please note that after approximately 7 days biological digestion bacteria begins growing in typical mechanical media (ie. foam).
I therefore "change out" my mechanical media at a frequency of less than 7 days.

TR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.