Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello who every sees this, im looking for suggestions on a clean up crew in my 55 gallon fw planted tank. if you could give me some suggestions for shrimp cories loaches anything. i was thinking of shrimp for like algae and waster and cories to get food:) list possiblities for me if possible and in my tank now there are a few harlaquin rasbora and a pair of bolivian rams!!!???

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would get a bushy nosed pleco. They do a great job in cleaning a tank. They only get to be about 4-5" max. They grow really slowly. I've never had one get over 4" big. 2 in a 55 would be good. I also bought some amano shrimps I have 3. I also like Horned Nerite snails as they do a better job in cleaning the tank then the BN plecos, They also do not eat plants like some snails.. I have 1 BN pleco in all my tanks given to me from a friend that breeds them. They were 1/2" big when I got them. If you can get baby ones as they are so cute. You can get a Mystery snail but they will lay eggs at the surface of the waterline even without a male but you can remove the egg sack if you do not want any baby snails. Red cherry shrimps are good and easy to take care of but need a nice planted tank. Other fish in your tank may prey on them if you have alot of bigger fish. I also would get a trio of cory cats. The dwarf ones are nice as they do not get very big in size so that you can get 3-4 of them over the other ones that get big.

Stay away from getting Otto catfish as I have had them and all the ones I get always die.They are really sensitive to water qty. I do water changes once a week of 20-25% and still had problems with them dieing. I have Assassin snails in another tank. You can not have these snails with any other snails as they prey on other snails but their own kind. Sort of cool if you have a snail problem. If no snails are available they eat anything with protien like earthworm sticks, food that has protien in it or they prey on dead fish in your tank.

sent picture of my albino long finned bushy nosed pleco, red cherry shrimps, assassin snail

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great pictures!!!^^^

The previous poster gave you some great suggestions and rather than just repeating them I want to just add one thing. In you post you said "and cories to get food" which I'm assuming means left over food that floats to the bottom. Cories should have their own food to supplement their diet. They can't live off the scraps that other fish leave behind and don't eat fish waste so if you do get cories just make sure you have some time of food to feed them with so they don't starve.

·
Registered
191 Posts
To add to what SomeDudeAtHome said, no fish or invertebrate is a "clean up fish." They will not help your tank get that much cleaner. In the case of algae eaters, if you have balance in your aquarium there will be no significant algae, if you don't have balance, there will be an algae bloom whether you have algae eating fish or not(some forms of algae aren't eaten by even the best algae eaters.) Leftover food in the substrate would likely be picked up by any other fish, so its not necessary that you have cories or any other scavenging fish. Both algae eaters and scavengers need their own food or else they will starve, the only exceptions to this rule would be most shrimp and snails. Also, there is NO such thing as a fish that eats other fishes waste.

If you want one of these fish you should get them because you like the fish, not because you want them as part of a "clean up crew" (some snails are an exception to this rule since they just hitch hike.) If you have slow growing plants it might make sense it would make sense to add algae eaters so they grow well, but other than that, "clean up" fish's bioloads will do negatively effect your water quality more than their algae eating or scavenging traits will. To sum it up, don't get "clean up crew" fish to clean up your tank, only get them if you truly like the fish and can provide it with the diet, and conditions necessary for its survival.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Also for suggestions, I'd suggest either a Bristlenose Pleco, a school of at least 5 corydoras, red cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, ghost shrimp, any type of snail, and maybe Dwarf Loach if you can provide them with the special water parameters that they need.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bristlenose plecos are the same as Bushy Nosed pleco some people call them bristlenose but they are the same.

As stated above they all need food and can not survive on eatting algae in your tanks. For my bottom feeders I always throw in some sinking food for them in the evening or before I go to bed. I have heard of Bushy Nosed Plecos, Otto's starving as a result of not feeding them enough food. They will appear to have a sunken look to their stomach.

Having a balanced tank will keep the algae down is true. Having to much light will add to the algae problem. I even have to scub my tanks every so often to remove the green dot algae that is in the front of my tanks. I keep the back of my aquariums with algae for the shrimps and plecos to eat but also use food just made for plecos and shrimps also my background is black so the algae on the back is no problem. Some of the above scavengers will not eat certain algae no matter how many you put in. Also having to many will add to the bio-load and make the tank unbalanced.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will any snails eat plants?

like mystery snails or thoselittle random snail at the bottom of tanks in most fishstore tanks

also what about bamboo shrimp?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Some snails will eat plants. Mystery snails will eat some types of plants. Ramshorns (A common "nuisance") snail is known to eat some stem plants such as cambomba(Cabomba caroliniana) and Anacharis, although some species of ramshorn will just slightly nibble at these plants. Nerite snails will not eat plants and do not breed in freshwater, so they are perfect for a planted tank.

The three "nuisance snails" you may encounter are Ramshorns, Physias, and Malaysian Trumpet Snails, and . They commonly hitch hike with plants you may buy. Ramshorns can be a nuisance for the reasons stated earlier. Physias and MTS on the other hand will not eat plants. IMO these two snails are good to have in your tank. Both will help eat algae and uneaten food. They are also great indicators, if you are feeding too much you will know because your tank will have a lot of snails. If your water quality is bad, your snails will tell you by getting out of the water. Physias and MTS also have some unique traits. Physias are able to extract oxygen from the air, so you will often see them "walking" upside down underneath the water. MTS spend the entire day in your substrate, where they aerate it, which prevents compacting which is helpful for tanks with a sand substrate.

Other than these, I can't think of any other snails commonly found in aquariums. Sorry for the extra information, but I hope it's helpfull :).

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
better get ottos then loaches... they don't fight.their small plus they are very very hard working..to the extent they will clean up every piece of leaf from algae until it's all gone and start to starve.so if you see the ottos having less of a tummy add blanched veggies to suplement.if you plan on having babbies alive in the tank as rcs breeds easily if there is java moss which is a good thing coz you don't need to get more from the store stay away from ghosts.they eat debris from the tank yes but is little help with the algae.they also tend to nip fishes when they sleep.is you have cobombas rcs is the best shrimp for it. the babbies eat of the fine leaves of the cobomba keeping it healthy and free of gunk. yamatos are another form of helpful shrimp as they don't have pincer and readily eat most things in the tank.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's really going to be personally preference, I myself love watching the shrimp. Depending on which shrimp you get though you may end up with 200, some of them multiply quite quickly. You can get shrimp in all different colors. You could have shrimp, cory's and a pleco, with the pleco though you have to be careful certain ones will eat your shrimp. Loaches are an option without shrimp and some will eat snails. If you do loaches or cory's you will want a school of I believe at least 6.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The Bolivian Rams will make a meal out of the small shrimp - at least mine did (red cherry).

My Farlowella is great at grazing algae, though as others have mentioned, such fish should not be considered the be all and end all of algae control and need additional sources of nutrition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts