Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I'm very curious to see what you guys think is going on here. I have had 5 texas convicts all born from a friend of mine, and I have slowly had relocated 3 of them due to aggression, these are the 2 I kept and have had them only for about a year. Lately, they have been having a lot of abnormal interactions such as excessively digging and reshaping the tank, rubbing against one another, and chasing each other or circling one another. I have never been able to sex these fish due to them being hybrids and I always thought they were two males considering convicts will breed with anything that swims. I'm curious if someone could help me sex them or tell me if they are mating and I should be ready for the baby fry. If you need more information please let me know!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Looks like 2 males to me but since they are hybrids it might not be as obvious as if they were pure convict. Normally female convicts are smaller than the males and will have brighter orange on their bellies. Have you noticed them cleaning a spot together or are they just chasing and circling each other? Also, I don't see the ovipositor on either of these fish in the video so don't think eggs will be laid soon. Normally it's very pronounced when the female is ready to lay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts