Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Hi soco, I'll do what I can to help.
For starters, can you please post the stats of your tank?
Size/Gallons
How long has the tank been running?
What other fish are in the tank? How many?
How often do you do water changes?
How often and what do you feed?
Temp?
Live plants? How much decoration?
Even though you say your water tests out at "normal", can you please post exact results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH, and mention what kind of test kits you are using? (strip, dry tab, liquid)

Did you notice any symptoms before the fish died? How do the other fish look?
The more information you can provide, the faster and easier it will be for us to help you. With something like this, every detail you can think of counts.

· Registered
2,716 Posts
Well, I can see a few possibilities, but I don't like to guess, especially without complete water params. What I can tell you is that the average life span for glolites is usually 5 - 9 yrs., they stress quite easily, but tend to have a stronger immune system than many of the other tetras. I have long used them for cycling, they're a great little fish!

If I had known about your planned move of the fish ahead of time, I would have suggested moving them in smaller groups than what you did. Adding all of the tetras and angels to a newly cycled system all at the same time was sure to cause a mini cycle. Even though your new tank was cycled, the bacteria culture growing in there would only have been large enough to sustain the current inhabitants. When the rest of the fish went in, that would have been a lot more new waste, and the bacteria would have needed time to handle it. Combined with the stress of moving and age, this could have been your culprit...

I'm still wanting to see the other water params to help eliminate a few other possibilities. How do the other fish look now?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.