Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so to start off, I decided to do a fish in cycle. I know most people suggest a fishless cycle but it's what I did. Anyway, my tank has been set up for probably somewhere around 2 months now. I've been doing daily water changes of at least 50% daily and using prime during each one. The combination of both of those leaves me with low amount of ammonia left after every change.

Now for the problem. I still see no nitrite and ammonia continues to grow daily. Over the last couple of days I decided I would try no water changes and just test the ammonia daily to see what my numbers are. Daily the ammonia levels rise by 1-2 ppm. I am doing a water change as we type this because I know at this rate I will end up with dead fish. Oh, I have also had fish lay eggs and fry survive quite long until they ultimately have been picked off by other fish so I really don't know what to make of this. Is there a chance my ammonia readings are off or are the fry just amazing and survived despite all of this? Either way that's not really the question at hand. Any ideas why my tank isn't progressing in the cycle? The tank is a 75 gallon and the stocking is quite low at this point. Also I am using a eheim pro series filter on this tank, I don't remember exactly which one but it is one of the ones rated at least 160 gallons, maybe more. This isn't even close to being my first aquarium but I've never had a problem like this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to say. Other than the ammonia the tank is doing amazing. No fish have died, plants are flourishing, as said before, fish are breeding and fry are surviving until being eaten. Just to give you an idea of it all, the fish that are breeding are bolivian rams, guppies and the purportedly sensitive german blue rams. Its one of those things that just doesn't make sense to me at all. Oh, and the test kit is a brand new api master freshwater test kit that "expires" in 2019. I'm clueless.

·
Registered
319 Posts
have you checked your PH.... Low ( below 6.4) will turn toxic ammonia into less toxic ammonium, thus suppressing the nitrogen cycle... be careful if this is the case...once the PH rises above 7.0 the ammonium will turn back to ammonia and may do permanent damage to the gills and internal organs of the fish.. if not outright kill them...for me low PH is the most logical explanation without seeing in depth actual water test results....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. I never did test the ph but I will have to try that. I have the test for it but I'm in the school of not testing ph. In all my years of keeping aquariums I stopped testing for it after only a few years since I don't like trying to adjust ph anymore because once you start playing with things too much it's too easy to mess things up. I'll let you know what the ph is when I test it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good point. I never did test the ph but I will have to try that. I have the test for it but I'm in the school of not testing ph. In all my years of keeping aquariums I stopped testing for it after only a few years since I don't like trying to adjust ph anymore because once you start playing with things too much it's too easy to mess things up. I'll let you know what the ph is when I test it.
I only test PH KH or DK ( fresh water) when setting up a new tank or there is a problem... those parameters can tell you a lot....problems are solved by methodically eliminating possibilities.... and that begins with testing .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taking out ammonia causing things to slow down was one of the things I considered but at the same time I know plenty of people do it this way all the time. Regardless of this, obviously I'm doing it wrong and need to do something different. I appreciate your help and will keep you updated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Get some API quick start, it wont instantly cycle the tank, and I know it sounds farfetched to use bacteria in a bottle... but I used this for my 55g and when I did the cycled only took like 2 weeks.. My 44G pentagon has been cycling now for like a week almost 2 it seems now and my nitrites were still 0 but ammonia was at 8.0.. I bought an 8oz bottle (good for 218g) and poured it all in there.. The next day my nitrites were maxed at 5.0, ammonia is still maxed too but my cycle deff is getting a kick start I predict in 2 or so days my tank cycle will be done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.