Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just fyi, I use an API master test kit and I have had a lot of trouble reading 0.0 so I've been reading it as 0.25. Apparently this is a widespread problem.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just fyi, I use an API master test kit and I have had a lot of trouble reading 0.0 so I've been reading it as 0.25. Apparently this is a widespread problem.
I have another tank and it tests 0. The ammonia is hard to read , it never quite matches a color.Thanks.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I also suggest to use some prime to detoxify ammonia since ammonia in water will be toxic to the bacteria eating it , rendering it harmless will help the bacteria feed and reproduce rapidly.
This is only the case when the ammonia is sky high - over 4 ppm, and even then it's not totally accurate. At high concentrations, a different species of bacteria begin to grow.

The ammonia in the water is NOT toxic to the bacteria - it's the bacteria's food.... Whether it's ammonia or the "harmless" ammonium, it makes no difference.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is only the case when the ammonia is sky high - over 4 ppm, and even then it's not totally accurate. At high concentrations, a different species of bacteria begin to grow.

The ammonia in the water is NOT toxic to the bacteria - it's the bacteria's food.... Whether it's ammonia or the "harmless" ammonium, it makes no difference.
Thank you for the straight scoop.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A question for Jaysee- Today my apple snail is staying at the top of the tank, part way out of the water. What does this indicate, if anything?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I'm not that well versed with snail stuff. They breath air, so they do have reason to be at the surface. But I am not the one to ask about such things. I think that sounds like a topic for a new thread.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
sometimes snails will go to the upper water colum when the water params are off or their is something wrong with the water.my snails mostly come to the surface after a wc.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
sometimes snails will go to the upper water colum when the water params are off or their is something wrong with the water.my snails mostly come to the surface after a wc.
Hello Kitten. I had done a wc about 12 hours ago, maybe thats it. Params are ite-o ate-o ph-7.5 ammonia .25ppm, with a dose of Prime this morning. How in the world do you manage all those tanks? This 20g is going to give me a coronary!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
well once you get used to it. it's a snap.then you'll think the bigger the better in terms of tank size and then you'll go for the more complicated tanks as a challenge or out of boredom

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
well once you get used to it. it's a snap.then you'll think the bigger the better in terms of tank size and then you'll go for the more complicated tanks as a challenge or out of boredom
You're right, its not boring yet. I welcome a boring, worry free day.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
just take a deep breath then relax. here's the hard part.day 1 look into tank.see if fishes are ok.put food in watch them eat. leave tank alone.
day 2 same thing
day 3 same thing
day 4 same thing
day 5 same thing
day 7 do a 20% water change

hehehehe not so hard eh.you seem to worry too much that you wont be able to enjoy your tank or relax.the tank is there for your enjoyment.so try to enjoy it.

this is how i look after so many tanks.only my sw tanks need daily attention apart from feeding as i need to check the salinity and do a top up and on the 7th day i need to put in other stuff so a test is only done then to make sure the params are ok for my corals

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
just take a deep breath then relax. here's the hard part.day 1 look into tank.see if fishes are ok.put food in watch them eat. leave tank alone.
day 2 same thing
day 3 same thing
day 4 same thing
day 5 same thing
day 7 do a 20% water change

hehehehe not so hard eh.you seem to worry too much that you wont be able to enjoy your tank or relax.the tank is there for your enjoyment.so try to enjoy it.

this is how i look after so many tanks.only my sw tanks need daily attention apart from feeding as i need to check the salinity and do a top up and on the 7th day i need to put in other stuff so a test is only done then to make sure the params are ok for my corals
You make it sound easy. Thanks

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
your welcome

21 - 34 of 34 Posts