Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father hasn't been using his 100 gallon tank for years so instead of throwing it out, I decided to make it more colorful and lively again. I will have guppies in the tank as well as shrimps and snails. I am also thinking about cardinal tetras and rummy nose tetras, but I heard they are not as hardy even though I want them just as much as the guppies.

So are there any peaceful schooling fish that you guys can recommend that are easier to keep?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I recommend Kuhi Loaches! They are lots of fun to watch, I recommend adding LOTS or hiding places because they won't hide as much if they know safe spots they can quickly swim to. Get at least three they will sometimes hang out near each other but they are usually hiding by themselves. They get along with nearly all fish even bettas!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kuhi loaches are also VERY hardy and can live through almost anything! There are many informational videos on them!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Get 6 or more kuhli loaches as they are very social fish, they will even get along with cories. Yes, also get cories, fun fish! You can easily get shrimps and snails. You’re right about cardinal tetras, they have been longer in this hobby than neon tetras. You may try out rummy noses, but I do not know about them being sturdy. Guppies are fine to keep too, they also are sturdy fish.
For any schooling/shoaling fish like cories, loaches and any tetras get 6 or more, but in a 100 gallon tank you can out 20-25 maybe more of each and trust me, it will be lively! ^_^ For loaches, I agree with 20year, they need plenty of hiding spots to feel comfy in their new home, but they do no good in hard water. About 99.99% of them are wild caught and are rarely bred in captivity. My store apparentely breeds them in captivity so they should withstand my water hardness (my water hardness is total of 253ppm), but give your local fish store a call. But don’t call your local fishmongers! ;) Get the joke?
If you want to learn more about kuhli loaches, cories or other loaches or any catfish go to PlanetCatfish. They have lots of keen to help members to help newbies to loaches and catfish like you :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kuhi loaches, are actually only a PARTIAL schooling fish. (Meaning sometimes they will swim near each other) I recommend at least three or more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts