Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got my new 50 gallon tank up and running and decided on trying out a Firemouth. I'm interested in the slightly more unusual behaviour of cichlids but don't really want to delve too far into the aggression territory.

So with that in mind, and growth size too, I've opted for the single juvenile Firemouth. I also have an angel I was thinking about moving in.

However, bearing in mind growth size, I was thinking abouta pair (or 4?) dwarf cichlids, ideally something reasonably hardy. Bolivian rams have come up which I've been reading up.

For dither fish Congo Tetras seem to have been mentioned a few times. It is a relatively high 50 gallon tank so there is plenty of swimming space.

And for a clean up crew I've not really got any idea. Something that wouldn't end up eaten by the firemouth when grown I expect.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Is it planted?

You could do maybe 6 (3 pairs) of bolivians. They actually like groups. You could also do 6 congos. For a clean up crew, you could do emerald cories. Not actually a cory and get larger than average cories.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it planted?

You could do maybe 6 (3 pairs) of bolivians. They actually like groups. You could also do 6 congos. For a clean up crew, you could do emerald cories. Not actually a cory and get larger than average cories.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. Any other suggestions for dwarf cichlids? I wouldn't mind a little community of them. The interesting little habits are what pulled me to look at cichlids.

The tank is planted. Its a little sparse because its still pretty new but I have 3 Amazon swords at the back and 2 Nymphea stellata, one in each corner, with a decent size piece of bog wood front and centre in the middle. The idea was that the swords word grown up around and over the wood in time. That's the theory at least haha!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? You mentioned it was a high tank? With cichlids floorspace is important. If you have a four foot long tank you may be ok with the firemouth and the rams. Not sure I would do cories since the others are bottom dwellers as well and territorial. The cories would get picked on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would definitely not recommend 3 pairs with a Firemouth! Maybe 2, but the pairs will be guarding their territory against something that could easily kill them if wanted. I'd just do an all Cichlid tank in a 50, with larger more aggressive Cichlids. Like 4-8 inch Cichlids (I've personally always wanted Convicts). If it's a community you're looking for, it'll take some thought to find suitable tank mates for Firemouths. The all Cichlid tank is just a personal preference really, though. Also, that's really not enough floor room for more Cichlids like that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Actually with bolivians they are very non cichlid like. Many fish will just eat the fry. They arent the best at guarding and dont get very aggressive. They wont bother the firemouth to much. Also a firemouth isnt wicked aggressive anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.